Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cecil and Marlene at PR Bullet were a pleasure to deal with. Hope this thing works better than the primer carriers. If you seen my primer carriers after my last outing with the Black Mag'3 and the 460gr No Excuses conicals, you would understand.

http://www.prbullet.com/nef.htm

I would like to issue a WARNING to anyone using that combination with 80 grains by volume and the Winchester 209's, it blew the primers apart, split and swelled them so bad that they can not be reused.

I think the reason for this is the BM'3 is a progressive burning powder and builds pressure thus creating more blowback pressure after the primer charge has finished its job. With 777 I have never had any problem with this due to its fast burning and has already spanked the bullet out your bore before the primer is done releasing pressure. I do like the BM'3 with light saboted bullets though and did not have this problem at all.

I also have come to the conclusion that BM'3 is not as accurate as 777 with the heavy conicals. The reason I believe is due to its slower burn rate and a conical needs a fast ignition to upset it enough to obturate into the rifling for best accuracy. The 777 does this nicely.

My digital camera took a dump or I would post some pics for you guys, the primer carriers took a serious beating due to the 209's splitting and opening up.

Does anyone know if the .25ACP primer carrier is legal in Colorado during the Muzzleloader Elk Season? I need to find that out.

I also ordered the new Williams Fire-Sights, WGRS peep sight and the new black ramrod from H&R/NEF for my Huntsman. The Customer Service was much better than in the past, although I felt rushed, I was able to place my whole order after holding a couple minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Blown Primer Carriers

My digital camera crapped out on me, so these were scanned in on my flat bed. These are pictures of my blown primer carriers shooting 80gr of BM'3 and the 460gr No Excuses Conicals. Just thought you guys might like to see them. Has anyone else had this or a similar experience with the primer carriers? These were the first ones I had fail in over two years with the gun. Ordered the .25ACP conversion yesterday so I can continue with testing of the BM'3 and heavy conicals. I should also mention that these were shot out of my back-up breech plug that I bought, but the dimentions are the same as the original with the exception of the slot lining up at 10 and 4 when seated, my original lines up at about 8 and 2. :? Take a look.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=945

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7/8" .25 ACP Breeech Plug report!

I figured I had better report on the .25 ACP Plug since I have had it for a little over 2 weeks now. I have been very impressed with the precision built into this plug, it is a perfect fit for my huntsman. The 7/16" hex head is a dream when compared to the factory plug. A Knight hex breech plug tool will fit this perfectly or a 7/16" socket.

I installed the plug with only breech plug grease for its first outing. After about 10 shots of 777, I figured I had better check the plug. It was very stiff but manageable with the Knight tool. I loosened it and re-tightened it every 3 shots after that. The new cases loaded very easy with some room for expansion giving me a little concern about blow back. The primers worked flawlessly with fast ignition and only a hint of any blowback, very nice. The groups were real good but I had not had a problem with groups with the 209's either, just a lot of blow back with the 209's.

The second outing I wrapped the plug with the teflon tape first then applied a thin layer of grease. With the tape, I have never had a problem with a sticky plug and I didn't worry about it until I cleaned the rifle. This time I used a .25 ACP expander die to flare the mouth of the case slightly for a tighter fit. There was absolutely NO blow back with the flared cases. I shot a couple groups and then the sky opened up and started to rain. I cut my session short and figured I would shoot the next day. The plug came out with ease and I will be using the teflon tape with 777 always.

The third outing I shot a lot of different types of bullets and two grades of 777 (FFG, FFFG) and big heavy conicals up to 460 grains. Again I used the slightly flared cases with no blow back. When I got into the 460 grain No Excuses conicals and 80 grains of 777 FFFG the cases were getting a little more expansion that I had not noticed with the lighter loads. I shot several groups with different loads and the ignition was flawless every single time I pulled the trigger. :grin:

Overall I am very satisfied with the .25 ACP breech plug, the brass supplied and purchased did vary a small amount in length but all worked well. If the brass was all exactly the same length, life would be perfect. This is not really a big deal, I just over analyze things since I work with measurements all day at work. This is MUCH better than the primer carriers for bench work, but for the hunter the cost would be harder to justify. I just don't like the blowback and blown carriers I had shooting BM'3 with heavy conicals. I will have the option of using either ignition and will take the 209 ignition as a back-up to Colorado with me next month.

I just ordered another 100 460 gr No Excuses Bullets today! More shooting next weekend. :wink:

Final note: Although the .25 ACP plug can be a little costly up front, you can get by with a Lee priming tool for $10- $15. Brass can be had for around $7 a hundred. Primers for around $2. When compared to the NEF primer carriers $13 -$15 a ten pack they can be a bargain. NEF claims at least 20 shots per carrier = 200 shots or twice the shots for twice the money. Now I know you can get more than 20 shots on some of the primer carriers (I have had one go over 60) but once they have a few shots on them they get VERY washed out from the blow-back. Take a look at my previous post to see the primer carriers that were destroyed by the blow-back of one shot of 80 gr BM'3 and a 460 grain conical. The Knight Full Plastic Jackets by comparison are $10 a hundred and are a one shot deal. The ACP brass can be de-primed and re-primed several times over making them a bargain in the short and long run. If a guy wanted to he could prime and use once, discard the brass and still do it for less money than the plastic carriers. When you load 100 cases at a time it doesn't take long at all and is very convenient while at the range. I won't be switching back!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ordered the 7/8" .25ACP Breech Plug fo

Busta,

I ML hunt elk in CO and looking at the Colorado big game regulations, it specifically states that shotshell primers are legal, but says nothing else of any other primers. I don't think you will have a problem using the .25ACP but you might call CO and talk to a warden to make sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts