Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D HI All.
I found a old book in my basement today I forgot I had.It's a book on the Sharps rifle with all tha patents and drawings on all of the Sharps rifles shot guns and revolvers they made from 1848 to untill the Company failed in 1881.
In it I found a recipe on the lube they used.

They used one part bees wax two parts sperm oil.

It said to use 70 gr of Sharps special powder,a pasteboard wad and a 3/16'lubrricant disk.

It has match scores listed.It posted a score shot by John T. Rainey, of New Orleans,a 500 yd off hand,regulation second-class target,he shot a 70 out of 75 possible.that group looks better than I can shoot on sticks or sand bags.LP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
lube?

Cheers, :D

Just one question - where do we get the sperm oil? Don't think it's available over the counter. At least, the places I shop.

Gentle winds,
crashresidue

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Hi All:

The Governmint used to use it for gun oil,because it withstood the extreem cold without jelling up.So look in surplus stores for old gun oil.

I dont know would that Cod Liver Oil that Maw used to feed me when I was a kid for vitamins work ???? that would be a better use for that stuff.Lp.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Gentlemen

Dixie markets a synthetic sperm oil that is supposed to have the same qualities as the original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.