Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on Facebook and thought it I'd share. It a marlin lever action 45-70. What do you think about his story?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Whats not to believe...

I have seen a few catastrophic happenings.

Its absolutely true that the bullet seating deeper would cause increase in pressures. Depending on the powder used and its charge, could be catastrophic as seen.

I have had a minor explosion four times. Twice with a 22LR in competition. Both times very minor damage to gun and hand no hospital needed. Lost a magazine in one nothing in second. Both times case ruptured. Another was a 12g Bolt gun with a seized firing pin... As I pushed the round forward from the magazine it went off. Luckily I was wearing glasses. we pulled a couple pieces of brass out of my face and hands. The nurse gave up after about three hours removing pieces of powder form my hands. I was a bloody mess, but really mostly all superficial. Couple stitches. Last one was probably wrong powder... It was a 223 H&R. Upon firing it blew out the base fo the case, destroyed the trigger guard and many of the trigger mechanism. I was unhurt and the gun once parts replaced is a great shooter. Unsure why this occurred.

I have seen a couple I was NOT involved in.

One guy destroyed a Beautiful M14 S&W revolver with ultra light loads of fast powder... blew the cylinder and opened the top strap over back wards...

Another was a Savage BP rifle with wrong powder... This guys hands and cheek where hamburger much like your pics. I got allot of faith in my fellow man those days, everyone was immediately right there to help safely secure things and get help.

One needs to have his/her head about them when reloading.

CW

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
This is a very believable story. With a tubular magazine every time the rifle fires the combined recoil force of all the bullets in the magazine pushes on the bullets in the magazine. If all the bullets had exactly the same amount of crimp force they should all compress the same amount. Realistically one bullet is going to have a looser crimp and that bullet will move more than the others.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All my manuals warn about bullet depth causing high pressure. All the pictures they show of blowed up guns are from double charges, and the wrong powder. I'm just amazed how high the pressure spike was. I don't reload for 45-70. I always go by the book on bullet depth and oal for the ones I do. I've always crimped and after seeing this, I will continue.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Littlepage, thanks for this one, it serves as a reminder to those of us who reload! Sure did ruin his day, his 45-70 and his hand, surprised he didn't lose the thumb. Thanks again, John.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks for the post, Littlepage. My 45-70s are all single shot and I look at each round as I load. This story is a reminder to really look at my rounds as I load them!
FM

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
if i were actually an exploded firearms detective,
my swag would be a double charge of fast powder
from a light load :-\

the only banana peeled firearms i've seen were
from that, and one kid with a barrel full of mud.
nobody was hurt in any of them

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The chamber wall between the threads of a marlin 1895 45-70 barrel is very thin. Also, the case capacity of 45-70 brass varies a lot between the different manufacturers. A blown up marlin 1895 is not that rare. I am not a marlin LG basher, I have many of them, but I don't rod them.

BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.