Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
51,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a Handi, but it is a single shot!! You guys are like family to me here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions from those here that shoot black powder cartridge guns. I have inherited what I think is a Remington-Hepburn Falling block in 40 1-7/8" or 40-50 Sharps Straight. This caliber is somewhat anemic and the bore appears to be in great shape, the rifle itself has no sentimental value to my shooting partner who is giving it to me, but he wants me to shoot it, not sell it. He also thinks it would be a better shooter if we rechambered it to say a 40-90 Sharps straight.

Whatchathink??

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't really free, we never talked money, but I built him a computer and he just offered the rifle to me, not as compensation, but cuz he's my best friend and huntin/fishin/campin/shootin partner of 37yrs and we don't charge each other for things we give each other....it all works out in the end.....

Handi, I was intending on that eventually, but though I'd start here since I trust you all and value your thoughts!! :wink:

tim

· Super Moderator
51,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MSP, I was kinda hoping he'd check in soon....been a while since he's been here, he is trully missed!!! :(

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 40-65 would probably be the best choice, brass is $43 a hundred compared to about the same cost for 20 of the 40-90 brass! I'm leaning towards it the more I dig!!

Thanks,

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sure looks like it, cept that one looks in better shape!! Brass is available in 40-65 form from Cabelas, haven't checked out dies yet....If the 40-65 can be cut down, we may just do that instead of the rechamber for what little difference in performance there is. Could also probably use XMP5744 instead of black powder. Cartridges of the World shows 21grs of IMR 4198 with a MV of 1450fps with the 260gr .403" bullet....if that can be found!!!

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.