Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All new to the forum and had a question.

I have several H&R's and have bought a new receiver from a 500 S&W and want to have a multi barrel set up as I did for my buffalo classic set up 45/70 & 38/55. Does anyone else make barrels for the H&R rifles? I am thinking Ackley chambering's, Wildcats etc. Anyone have any info?

I did a search and came up with some old info and a dead e-mail address,


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
H&R is the only company making cartridge based barrels(with lugs) for these guns. There may be a few doing custom stubbing. Some smiths will rechamber them for us, and a handful are capable of reboring.

If you want an AI, or in the case of these Handi's an "Improved" chambering - either rent a reamer or send the barrel out to a smith. Since you cant turn the barrel back the proper amount for a crush fit, a true Ackley Improved with a rimless cartridge is nearly impossible unless you can clean up the prior chamber completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
knight0334 said:
H&R is the only company making cartridge based barrels(with lugs) for these guns. There may be a few doing custom stubbing. Some smiths will rechamber them for us, and a handful are capable of reboring.

If you want an AI, or in the case of these Handi's an "Improved" chambering - either rent a reamer or send the barrel out to a smith. Since you cant turn the barrel back the proper amount for a crush fit, a true Ackley Improved with a rimless cartridge is nearly impossible unless you can clean up the prior chamber completely.
Back during the assault weapons ban, I built a bunch of AR's on 80% lowers. It really got boring after a while. I even built a single shot 50BMG on an 80% using a $25.00 machinegun barrel. Kicked like the devil too ;D

Anyway, I don't see a lot of clunker barrels suitable for stubs. They might be out there but I can't find them. I wonder if there is a market for an 80% stub, already threaded that only needed an extractor/ejector and final fitting?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,705 Posts
New H&R shotguns are avaliable from Walmart for $109.00 most of the time, that is the whole gun, I doubt that a new stub could be built and sold for what the barrel is worth after you sell off the stock set and receiver parts. Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
trotterlg said:
New H&R shotguns are avaliable from Walmart for $109.00 most of the time, that is the whole gun, I doubt that a new stub could be built and sold for what the barrel is worth after you sell off the stock set and receiver parts. Larry
Yeah.....Another idea down the drain :'(
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
51,508 Posts
bullet8542 said:
Hello All new to the forum and had a question.

I have several H&R's and have bought a new receiver from a 500 S&W and want to have a multi barrel set up as I did for my buffalo classic set up 45/70 & 38/55. Does anyone else make barrels for the H&R rifles? I am thinking Ackley chambering's, Wildcats etc. Anyone have any info?

I did a search and came up with some old info and a dead e-mail address,


Thanks
Welcome aboard! As has been said, no one makes drop in barrels, even H&Rs need to be fitted to your frame if you buy one from them, the only option for a custom barrel is a rechamber/rebore an existing H&R barrel or having a stub barrel made, either way if done by a gunsmith it will cost ~$300 plus the cost of the donor parts. GBO sponsor Wayne York of Oregunsmithing has done many custom barrels for members here, I've had several made, be does reboring as well as stubs. You can also fit you own second hand barrel, info in the FAQs will get you there, lots of barrels sold in the H&R Classifieds here.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top