Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw an otter yesterday playing in a small stream.....there are no beaver in there .....do you think he will stay there or is he just moving through

·
Registered
6 Posts
Otter

I think that the stream is probably just a part of his/her hunting area. The otter will probably leave to make his/her rounds and come back through there (could be a week or two or longer). Sometimes if they find lots of food in an area they might stay a few days before leaving..

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
otter sets

the best set is where they are at. You use what you have in the area to your advantage with what ever trap would work. Like bottom edge set with conis or foot holds in strategic places set properly and with drowning cables.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I catch most of my otters at Beaver dam cross overs.#2 location is at cross over trails between two bodys of water and #3 location at toilets.
I use what ever trap or snare that will work best at that location.But I like 280's and snares the best. They go in alot faster than foot holds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Otter are almost like Mink with their territories in that they travel long distances and will return through an area every 10-14 days. I have caught two otters in my Beaver scent mounds in the last three years but had to turn both in because their is no season.

I caught them both at a state park 15 yards from each other and they stay there but that is because of the abundance of food but is not the norm. I would think the best way to catch Otters would be a good blind set that is a well travelled area. I have followed many a Mink in the snow and usually every Mink that comes through an area will travel the same path as every other Mink. I would believe Otters follow that same pattern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts