Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a rem 700 action for silhouette and chambered it for a BR length cartridge. When I open the bolt the ejector cants the empty case hard to the right. And because the case is so short it catches the neck/shoulder area in the bolt lug recess, making the bolt hard to draw back and scratching and denting my cases.

What is the fix for this? I single load and don't even really want the cases ejected. Can I just disable the ejector? What is the preferred way to do this?

P.S. This was my first action truing / barreling project, and thanks largely to the valuable advise I received here it came together nicely and appears to be shooting very well. More range time will tell.

- Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jim,
I've read of benchrest shooters changing or modifing the ejector spring to the point that the ejected case will just clear the rifle and not sail off the bench. I believe this would probably work for you.
George

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
This is an easy one!!! Just use a small diameter pin punch and remove the cross pin on the side os the bolt head just behinf the ejector button. Be cautious, the ejector is under spring tension and will forcefully be thrown from it's moorings when the punch is removed. Just put the ejector back in it's hole after removing the spring and re-install the retaining pin. This will alow the ejector to plug the hole to keep out dirty and the extractor will simply pull the empties straight from the chamber where you may simply reach a finger tip into the ejection port and tip them out... The deed may be reversed by simply re-installing the spring. Be careful to not let the ejector get away. I use a length of the correctly sized dowel rod to restrain everything when doing these. Still have a few spares around the shop tho,, just can't find them!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts