Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
i use .030, or .060 vegi wads from john walters, 405 799 0376. they work well under the bullet for more reasons than i know.. for me it increases compression with out increasing powder amount.. i use on one of my loads two .060 with a gas check bullets without gas check and have no problems.. to develop a good load for your climate, gun, type of powder they can do the trick sometimes.. i would recomend trying them. i dont know about the .025 cards.. dave..

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dave i cant get vegie wades here in west australia, the only thing i can think of is to get vegie wad card from buffalo arms and a wade punch.to get ready made wads sent over would coast about 40$ ausie thats with postage thats to much, thanks fore your help bernie :lol:

· Registered
391 Posts
Hey dodd...

Until the Walters fiber wads became available I used tablet backing. The cardboard on the back of legal type tablets or the kinds of tablets kids in grade school used to use here. I just miked one and it measures about .060. I've also used boxes from the florist shop that flowers come in. I just miked some of that and it runs about .045. I ran out of 45 cal. wads and I'm not going to buy any more and as soon as my 40 cal. wads run out I'll go back to the card wads in it also. Either one worked as well as Walters wads for me. I would imagine the .025 would work fine also. I can't see any reason it wouldn't and it's certainly worth a try.

If you're shooting 45 cal. you can get a 7/16's arch punch and punch your own wads as you said.

Vic

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks vic. i thought the cards would be ok, at the moment i am using a lee 500 grn mould with gas check it is very acurate but i wont to save gas checks for hunting. i cast in pure lead with gas check find i don't get any leading.bernie

· Registered
391 Posts
If it's accurate and not leading, why bother with the gas checks at all? It just adds another step to your reloading and does nothing to enhance the effectiveness of 500 grs. of lead as a hunting bullet.

Vic

· Registered
293 Posts
idont know what is going on internally, but the cardboard may keep the lube out of the powder and vice versa.. before the shot on a hot day the lube coould melt into the powder and couse power reduction.. after fireing the pressure could get to the lube and reduce lube ability.. id try both ways and see what works in all temperatures etc.. ive heard of alot of people using milk cartons for wads, they are coated with wax which resistes dampening with lube and humidity.. .. dave..

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi vic .
tride the card 70grn fffg no gas check. shoots grate got a7/16 punch german one fore 3$ ozi good quality, hardware store was having a sale .thanks fore the help.
bernie :D

· Registered
391 Posts
Hey bernie....

You're more than welcome. Sometimes we tend to overcomplicate matters, and I'm certainly guilty of that. Often times it's great fun experimenting with other methods and one never knows what may turn up. I've been guilty of that also...(learned something I hope and had a ball doing it!!). The older I get the more I want things simple, direct and that work. I still like to experiment and overcomplicate things occasionally but not like I used to. Just how good does that rifle shoot?

Vic

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi vic.
if i really concentrate under an inch at 100 meters,considering its a h&r buffalo classic i am amazed at how well it shoots. i always line the bullet up the same way in the case, i have read that this gives more consistent shot to shot . it must be working bernie

· Registered
391 Posts
yup....indexing the bullet in the case AND the cartridges in the chamber .....allllllll those little things add up. That's good shooting.

Vic

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey all
hey vic got a lee 500r mold for $13.75 from track of the wolf . with the lead mix i am using it cast 508grns it has a ballistic coefficient of 443,and boy dose it shoot in my buff classic. 5 shot one hole group at 100 meters. 5 shot one and half inch group 200 meters. i think i must have a very good barrel on this buff classic iam not that good a shot of the bench, better shot when i am hunting. having live game in my sights makes all the difference fore me.
bernie
:D

· Registered
391 Posts
Bernie, I don't believe you can ask for any more than that!!! That's a fine shooting rifle and evidently the nut behind the stock knows how to use it.

Bench shooting kinda grows on a person, I think. The more you do it experimenting with loads the better you get at it. Have a good bench rest shooter watch you shoot sometime and he/she can probably give you some tips on what to do to get even better. A good friend of mine who is an excellent bench rest shooter pointed out some things I could do better and his advice tightened my groups a little. After a point improvement comes in small steps.

Vic

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks vic at 56 and shooting a long time you never stop learning in this sport, that saturday i shot there was a young member of the club watching i sead do you want a shot we'll his face sure did light up. now this boy can shoot .22 field rifle hes one of the best inthe club he had never fired a center fire before let alone a45/70. shoed him wot to do and he let it rip the boy is a natural ,the glint in his eye after 20 or so shots was priceless i think hes hooked
bernie :)

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi deadeye.the more the better a lot of anti gun do gooders over here need to balance it up a bit.if they had there way they would have us all doing
knitting instead lol. bernie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.