• Got tired of the trouble and sold the Boat Anchor

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Freedom Arms .454 Casull, Colt Pythons, 1911s
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if anyone has ever actually broken a Firing Pin on their Freedom Arms model 83 .454 Casull.
I keep being told that I need to send my model 83’s to F/A, to have them modify the firing pin to a Bushing-type user-replaceable type.
Since I figure doing this will likely cost me over $250 per model 83, and leave me without a revolver while the job gets done, I sorta want to know if people break their Firing Pins during normal range or hunting use, and what they did to break it.
I don’t dryfire these guns, which is evidently a prime firing pin destroyer for reasons unknown. I shoot mild to near max handloads in each of my Casulls, and have not broken anything.
Let’s hear the rest of the story.
Thanks!
Jordan

·
Registered
363 Posts
Curious to know if anyone has ever actually broken a Firing Pin on their Freedom Arms model 83 .454 Casull.
I keep being told that I need to send my model 83’s to F/A, to have them modify the firing pin to a Bushing-type user-replaceable type.
Since I figure doing this will likely cost me over $250 per model 83, and leave me without a revolver while the job gets done, I sorta want to know if people break their Firing Pins during normal range or hunting use, and what they did to break it.
I don’t dryfire these guns, which is evidently a prime firing pin destroyer for reasons unknown. I shoot mild to near max handloads in each of my Casulls, and have not broken anything.
Let’s hear the rest of the story.
Thanks!
Jordan
Sent it to FA for it was covered under warranty and had the replaceable version installed.
Bought an extra FP, spring and bushing.
Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not in my 454 Casull (non replaceable firing pin), but in my .500WE (with replaceable firing pin) broke the pin 1 times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
None here.

Where FA does its job in concert with FA's recommended use, seems like a FP failure should be an 'extremely' rare fluke. Regardless of number of rounds fired and bushing or no bushing. If not a rare event, should be quite dissatisfied with product.

I only dry fire with FA snap caps a handful of times throughout year and on day of hunt or shoot. I practice gun balance, handling and both 'rest & no rest' aim quite frequently, ALL YEAR. After 25 years, have been an exceptionally satisfied customer, including for grizz defense 'carry' while fishing plus hunting. If above practice is an issue, would not keep these guns.

MY USE:
Just for my preference/caution, about half my guns are only for target use, bench, handloading experiments and non-dangerous game carry/hunting. The other half are for hunting 'very' big game & bear defense 'carry' ONLY. Glad I got into most of my guns years ago but still will add another, only when price is right.

If I thought there were any frequent mechanical issues, problems or a weaknesses - given current pricing, would get rid of ALL of them except 1 and stick with my heavy Rugers.

But no FA issues here at all, glad to say. Love the FA guns and to hear any expert advice or actual experience anytime for certain. Great FA guns so far.

Dont know what FA (or other USER EXPERIENCE) recommends for 'FA' snapcap use??? ...as far as FP wear??? That is, how much dry firing with quality spring loaded snap caps is too much, if there is such a thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts