Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own quite a few rifles and absolutely hate the "recoil" pads. I say this because, from what I have been told, and from what I experience, there is a ZERO reduction in recoil from factory recoil pads. In fact, those "recoil" pads are nothing more than hard rubber.

All of my rifles are stainless with synthetic stocks. I also hate the synthetic stocks because "synthetic" now means "plastic" where as some time ago it used to mean "fiberglass and kevlar fibers." In any event, the plastic stocks have special pads due to the shoulder required to be properly placed in the stock.

Pachmyer has their Decelerator pads "pre-fit" for many makes and models, including wood and synthetic stocks from Remington, Winchester, Browning, etc.

I have been looking all around for these pads because I have been told by many that recoil is reduced by 50% - that's pretty darn good.

I noticed in a Cabelas catalog that they were selling them for about $30 each. Other websites offered it for about $28 to $30 as well.

However, I looked at www.dnrsports.com and noticed that they sell them for only $24.07! :-D That's the cheapest I have found anywhere!

I spoke with a gentleman there named Sam who was very courteous. I told him that I was a moderator of this site and that I was grateful that their company was a sponsoring our site and I, in return, wanted to help them out too.

Has anybody ever used these types of recoil pads?[/color]

DNR SPORTS - GREAT PRICE, GREAT SERVICE - THANKS! :D [/color]

Zachary

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pachmyer Decelerator Recoil Pad from DNR Sp

Yes, and they work very well. The decellerator style pads I have used ease recoil kick quite well. Be advised that some recoil reduction does come at the expense of weight. Pads like the KickEEZ work great, but part of the reason is that they are heavy.

Anyway, I bought a prefit Pachmyer pad for a Win M94, and it fit pretty well, I had to pull one hole to get the edges to line up, but nothing too bad. They certainly have to be better then the thin rubber pads or plastic butt plates offered by the factories.

Tom

·
698 Posts

I have Pachmyr pads on all of my rifles and shotguns, simple reason, if you're getting punished less, you'll shoot more and shoot better. Get a pad, take it to a good woodworker, put masking tape on the stock, saw off a piece of stock that is the thickness of the recoil pad so your length-of-pull and stock fit is not screwed up, make sure to cut the stock at the same angle or it won't fit well. Then have him mount the pad, etch the outline of the stock, then take it off and grind it down on a sander. One thing you can do to increase the effectiveness of the pad is taper the grind so that you fit the plastic to the stock, but leave the end that contacts your shoulder the same surface area, taper it on the sides. This will increase the area the recoil is spread out over, reducing the overall felt recoil. If you are good with a saw and grinder, do it yourself, but don't practice on your custom guns!
Selmer

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Recoil Pads

Zach: I prefer my rifle stocks the same way you do but dislike the notion of putting a recoil pad on any of them. Instead, I use a PAST Recoil Sheild when I go to the range to sight these monsters in or just play with them. It really reduces the felt recoil, can be used for any rifle or shotgun, can be folded up and put away and your rifles stay as you like them. I think I got mine from Cabellas and the price was reasonable. This is the recoil pad that slides over your shoulder like a shoulder holster. I use it on top of my GI shooting jacket and don't have any problems whatsoever with recoil.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
3,205 Posts

I have looked around for the last year or two at recoil pads. But the best recoil reduction I have seen is 15%. Some companies put both a recoil pad as well as some type of muzzle brake on a rifle in a package deal. I am not a fan of more noise though so it doesnt work for me personally. The other thing that would REALLY make me nervous is someone cutting the stock on my Sako 75 stainless. I dont think I could handle the pressure and what if you did not like what you had done afterwards?

·
698 Posts

I will say this about my recoil pads: The two that I have cut stocks on are factory M788 stocks. My M70 had a hard rubber butt padd on it, I replaced it with a similar thickness Pachmyr pad, but it's muh softer. My Browning Citori came with a pad, but I replaced it with a similar thickness pad. I haven't let anyone cut any good stocks of mine and I probably won't, find something that works and go with it. I also love my Past Recoil Shield, it's a magnum model for shooting from the bench, I got it for $2.50 at a garage sale, pissed off wife probably. :)
Selmer

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You may be able to cut down a wooden stock, but I don't think you can do so on those cheap plastic stocks (I don't know about true synthetic stocks like HS Precision or McMillan). Have you ever taken the pad off? It is hollow inside and there is just a small area at the end where the screws go. If you cut of about an inch or so, then I think that there would not be any place for the screws to go - and then you'd really be...well...screwed. :)

Zachary

·
698 Posts

Good point Zachary, I've never had the a... privilege? of owning a synthetic stock of any sort, I really like the look of wood, thanks for chiming in and making a good point.
Selmer

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts

Of course the synthetic(plastic stocks) can be cut down and a pad fitted. I've done it many times. Take it to a professional and there should be no problem. The 'soft' pads don't really reduce the recoil impulse, they simply slow it down. Spread it over a longer time period, much the same as gas operated shotguns do. This has the effect of reducing 'felt' recoil. They are quite effective but I have heard complaints that in extreme recoil situations they can 'pinch' the shooter's shoulder. I have used them up to 375 H&H and have not noticed the problem... from the gunnut69

1 - 9 of 9 Posts