Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In years past John Taffin wrote several articles about "Packing Pistols". He explored several different models and calibers. It's been so long ago I don't remember what was John's ideal Packing Pistol.

I have been using and enjoying my Ruger Blackhawk 45/8 inch barrel 45 Colt for about 20 years or so. It shoots the Cast Performance 265 grain bullet and a max charge of 296 powder very accurately and has enough power for anything around this part of Wyoming. And the recoil is very manageable. Plus it's a small package.

This is my ideal Packing Pistol. Whats yours?

Regards, Keith

·
2,655 Posts
There are quite a few good "packin pistols" out there, and I own a number of them. Rather than just list em, I'll note what general features I like, or don't, in a packin pistol.

LIKE - SS / Polymer construction, compact, light for caliber weight, accurate, big, bold, adjustable sights. Comfortable to carry in a coat pocket, or in a pancake hip holster.

DONT LIKE - heavy for caliber, long barrels, high polished blue finish.

OK, my list of favorites for woods carry, depending on what I am doing and expecting. (I do a lot of kayaking / camping, and wildlife photography, usually here in PA, and in Maine)

Ruger .22 Bearcat
Walther P-22
Kimber aluminum frame SS 4 inch 1911 in .45 acp.
Ruger 4 3/4 inch SS .44 mag Super Blackhawk
S&W 4 inch 629 .44 mag.
And a Kel-Tec P-32 loaded with Silver Tips occupies a perminant place in my camera bag.

Larry

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I saw somebody posted a picture of their Smith and Wesson 357. I think it was called a Mountain Lite or Mountain Air or something like that. It's one of those carry a lot, shoot a little type guns.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sheridan,

Thanks for finding those links. I really enjoyed re-reading those old articles. I think that there are more short articles that were published in American Handgunner back in the 1980s.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
900 Posts
To a some point it depends on what you are packin for. A stainless , smaller framed D/A 357 mag with a 3 to 4 inch barrel is easy to pack, can be concealed fairly easy and has enough power to take care of 2 legged or about 98% of 4 legged critters. Of course it needs to be accurate and have good sights. I do love the S/A in 45 with the shorter barrel for packin but really like the D/A 357 for its versatility. Pick the brand and model you like. there are several that fit the bill

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I enjoy reading Taffin, but I think he's going a little overboard on this "packin pistol" thing. Reminds me of O'Connor and his .270's or Keith's fixation on big bores.

I realize gunwriters need something to separate themselves from the rest of the pack, but when seemingly every gun he picks up becomes a "good packin pistol" it gets to be a bit much after a while.

By their very nature every handgun is a "packin" pistol - something to be carried on the person at all times, as opposed to a long gun that has to be set down to allow a person to perform most daily tasks.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i pack a ruger LCR every day on 357 mag

if traveling a pack another 357 in a suitcase
...incase something happens to the LCR
[if you ever use it, you loose it......and you a long ways from home]

if going to the swamp i add the 410 super comanche
if deep woods hiking or hunting....i add the 629 with 5 inch barrel

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have three 357s. One is an old model 3 screw Ruger 4 5/8 inch barrel. Two S&W 19. One has a 2 1/2 inch barrel and the other 6 inch.

I haven't shot a 357 in at least a couple of years but my "packing pistol" gets shot almost daily. It just works for me.

I have another pistol that really works for me and it's an old Contender 44 with a 10 inch barrel but for sure it's not a handy to pack around.

Keith

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I just bought a "packin pistol".....no disrespect to John Taffin or folks that like revolvers but if you want a light,slim,easy shootin handgun in a SD caliber you might want to check out a Smith and Wesson M+P Shield. Mines a 9mm and this morning i stuck it in my waistband when i went outside with my cofee and a smoke,came back in and did my email stuff etc....about an hour later i noticed i never took the gun out of my waistband......Mike

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I am new to pistol packing , always been a long gun person , I decided with all the crap going on across the country ,that Its probably going to get worse. Its better to have a weapon and not need it than need it and not have it . I went with a Ruger LCR , Because when seconds count I don't want to be fumbling with a safety button . I am sure some here can pull a auto out and fire it just as fast . But age has a way of slowing down ones reaction time .

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I was under the impression that this "packin pistol" was referring to a "backpacking pistol" or something you'd carry for protection from lions and tigers and bears.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About a month ago my neighbor showed me a picture of a large dead bear in a yard. What happened was that his son who lives on Kodiak Island heard a noise, looked outside and saw trash scattered everywhere and decided to take his pistol and go outside to clean up the mess. As he was returning to the house here came the bear. I think that he shot 5 times with his 44 and stopped the large animal.

It was very lucky that Ham was packing his Packing Pistol.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Sheridan5mm said:
I was under the impression that this "packin pistol" was referring to a "backpacking pistol" or something you'd carry for protection from lions and tigers and bears.
I think your right , I here too much slang around here . When you hear the words ( He be packin ) You start looking for the backdoor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tanoose,

Today my packing pistol was the same as yours. A Kimber 1911 Classic Target loaded with 200 grain cast.

Tomorrow it's back to the Ruger 45 Colt.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
A lot to be said about that 1911 as both a packing & carrying piece. A SW 25 or or a FA97 in 45 Colt isn't bad either. What few people I run into packing handguns in the field - I think most have a 22 lr in a semi-auto while the remainder have cannons. Nothing wrong with a 22 lr with stingers. ;D

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Re: Packing Pistol

''packing heat''
''packing'' for a trip
''back packing''

it is best to discuss them alll

either one the 357 LCR is with me....even when ''packing on pounds''
sometimes another gun is ....''in addition to'' the lcr

·
24,003 Posts
ive got about 20 of them but the one carried the most is just like yours but a stainless 44 mag that has a alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing and scalloped recoil shield and loading gate (all to make it lighter) and a bowen rear sight, clements front sight, belt mountain pin and a set of custom grips. Sounds like a custom gun but actually I put it together myself and it didn't break the bank. If im not carrying that in the woods usually I have my 696 smith 44 spec on me.
Keith1 said:
In years past John Taffin wrote several articles about "Packing Pistols". He explored several different models and calibers. It's been so long ago I don't remember what was John's ideal Packing Pistol.

I have been using and enjoying my Ruger Blackhawk 45/8 inch barrel 45 Colt for about 20 years or so. It shoots the Cast Performance 265 grain bullet and a max charge of 296 powder very accurately and has enough power for anything around this part of Wyoming. And the recoil is very manageable. Plus it's a small package.

This is my ideal Packing Pistol. Whats yours?

Regards, Keith

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.