Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html

As difficult as it is to imagine that anyone would care enough about GBO to pay folks to troll us, there are a few posters here for whom the only plausible reason I can discern for their being here is to troll. They never post outside Politics, Religion, or the Pot Bellied Stove, and they tend to use some if not all of the tactics identified in the article above.

In another article I read, often these trolls are testing ideas to see how a perceived demographic will respond. Other times they are working to highlight divisions, thereby reducing the chance that any cohesive idea is arrived upon, and increasing the likelihood that folks will jump at the already prepared bad idea. They get paid more for negative reactions, than positive ones, so there's a truth to the wisdom of "Don't Feed the Trolls" and they will starve and go away. They may use sock puppets - artificial profiles that only serve to fill in their posse. They may post articles (often from one of their employers) with a misleading Subject line to encourage a click through (which lines their pocket). You might wonder how anyone could enjoy being so noxious, but the fact is, its lucrative and most of them love what they do.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I guess I never thought of them being paid internet trolls. Guess its possible. I have always thought they are just plain ole clueless people.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Of course they're being paid by someone. Why else would they come here?

I don't hang out at places that are infested with liberals. No logical reason liberals would hang out here - unless they have a motive.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
gene_225 said:
Seem to see a lot of those tactics on GBO.

It is a firearm and hunting site, libs love to infiltrate sites like this and stir up trouble. And GBO isn't the only
Forum I've seen this happen on, some sites are no longer around or clannish to the point of only a few
approved members. A lot of the conservative members just move on because the site became a free for all.
But GBO has a lot of good info and sponsors, you can learn a lot here on just about anything you want to
know. And you have to remember, liberals are very good at baiting people. With a smart remark that may look innocent, but it could go both ways.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Insert mysterious do do do do ufo music.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Like on one site I know of, a popular conservative member gets attacked from all sides by these Liberal hacks, until they try to defend themselves. Then it is the conservative who gets banned, to keep the peace I guess.
Either way both party's were wrong for breaking the rules. But only the one party was banned.
The liberal majority won out, which was their objective to eleminate a popular conservative member who
stood up to them. And could bait them every bit as good as they could.
Conservatives are not supposed to be able to do that, so it takes an entire pack of liberals to get them upset enough to get them banned. And everyone else just stands back and watches.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
Probably only a troll would get banned and sneak back with a new name. to me that shows that they only want to cause trouble.
there are some here that are quite obvious. and one of them will probably quote me and challenge me to name names. at least that's what he usually does. Y'all know him well. ;D

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Sheridan5mm said:

I don't recall anyone saying anything about UFOs. Or any theorys about this subject. Only what they see going on. And it's not called trolls, it's called hacks and some are paid. Sometimes working from a College dorm room.
My daughters room mate did this on web forums for extra money, I don't think its a profession.
It's only a message board dude not the US government.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Argent11 said:
Sheridan5mm said:

I don't recall anyone saying anything about UFOs. Or any theorys about this subject. Only what they see going on. And it's not called trolls, it's called hacks and some are paid. Sometimes working from a College dorm room.
My daughters room mate did this on web forums for extra money, I don't think its a profession.
It's only a message board dude not the US government.
So you mean there's some college chic posing as an aged Grizzly Adams on here? Now I see where I erred.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
spruce said:
Of course they're being paid by someone. Do you really think so? What benefit would the payer get? [/color] Why else would they come here? Just to stir the pot, or to argue their point of view. [/color]

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whether they are on GBO or not, they exist, and they gravitate to places where they can cause disruption over controversial issues. They are paid for creating trouble, as the responses become data points ... it's a form of marketing, like product testing an idea or tactic to see if it produces the desired effect. There's a lot of $$$ in social media research. Some of it is related to ads, based on click throughout and meta data my guess is GBO has some of the oldest and well established historical data to profile us as the right place to test a few ideas. Gun companies do it, but no where near as much as lobbys and political groups.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Argent11 said:
a smart remark that may look innocent, but it could go both ways.
:eek: But... that type of remark is my stock and trade!!! :eek: Crap. :-\ I'm a troll... :'(

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
There are those who are paid, or they are a part of liberal establishments like Move On.
Sometimes they are just doing it on their own, other times it's only one part of a bigger agenda.
I've seen them get busted on other sites, where they were proud to admit it.
I was a moderator over on RN for three years, we couldn't ban them just because they admitted it.
What have they done wrong? Nothing, paid or not they have just as much right to be there as anyone else.
We were told it isn't the sites responsibility to police those who want to express their opinions.
Other than staying within the sites rules, we usually banned the nut jobs who would incite violence.
And that came from both sides not just the liberals. And if they were paid it isn't much about like a
telemarketing agent. There are trolls and then there are hacks there is a difference.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Land_Owner said:
Where do I sign up? I could use the extra money...but I would probably be pretty crappy at it.

Lol, your to honest Land Owner. And they are not specifically paid, or asked to disrupt a site.
Only to get out the Liberal message anywhere they can, and try to discreadit anything that runs
contrary to that message. Like paid protesters they really do exist as well.
Rabble rousers we would call them like what Al Sharpton surrounds himself with, and Jessie Jackson before him.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I still have a hard time believing there are people that will pay other people for coming to a conservative web forum and try to argue their leftist propaganda. Cause trouble? I think they are kind of entertaining. their cluelessness makes them entertaining.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i haven't done any trolling in quite a while.
the steering gear on my boat locked up.
i used to troll quite a bit, mostly for sand bass
and striper hybrids using slabs and saltwater
roadrunners

1 - 20 of 26 Posts