Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a guess that DD locked the thread that now resides in For Sale because there was a link to a non-member ad of an item for sale, as he should. Continuing with the non commercial aspects of the thread I talked again with the owner and it is now apparent that this is an unsleeved cast barrel with light to moderate pitting corrosion of the bore and a couple of small chips in the muzzle. Looks like this will require a sleeving job and a reduction of bore to something like GB or 40mm, maybe a rifled liner? Anyway I am going to have a look at it next week I hope. ANY input from board members regarding this tube would be welcomed and appreciated, I've never dealt with this kind of thing before. Thanks, LS

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have conditionally committed to purchase this item with a right of inspection before the sale closes with just that in mind. Also negotiated a really substantial price reduction from the gentleman based on the probability of having to sleeve it. If nothing else it will scare **** out of the UPS guy when he comes flying down the driveway.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
UPS and USPS.

I'm told regularly that "You've got your moneys worth out of this one." by post office, as they quote a much higher rate for non-flat-rate mailings.

;D

The last time I moved I had 15 boxes of books. Of course the boxes were knotty pine and also served as the bookcases when the lid was removed - shipped 'em all at 'book rate'.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
little said:
I have conditionally committed to purchase this item with a right of inspection before the sale closes with just that in mind. Also negotiated a really substantial price reduction from the gentleman based on the probability of having to sleeve it. If nothing else it will scare **** out of the UPS guy when he comes flying down the driveway.

Good luck! I'm interested to know if it's steel or unsleeved iron.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post pics for anyone interested and would still love to have knowledgeable input on this little project. At the price we negotiated I'm OK with either alternative. Anyone know who makes a sleeve for a barrel like this if it comes to that? Rifled in something like GB or 40mm would be super. Still can't figure out who made a 66% barrel. Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I made the trip to Jacksonville FL (1050 miles RT) and back to look at the controversial tube. It was a good case of be careful what you wish for. The rather nice guy who had it for sale obviously had never been near it with a measuring tape, 56" long not 48". A couple hundred pounds heavier too. On the up side, the corrosion was minimal- light surface only on the tube exterior and only a small area of the bottom side of the bore right at the muzzle. Not anywhere near as bad as it looked. The vent had never been drilled through, only 1.5" deep, although the gun had been fired by a cruise line probably electrically. Best finding was on the right trunnion where it was stamped Southbend Replicas, Southbend, Ind. I bought it.
That's where the fun started, transport cradle had been made for a 48" tube and worse, the tube was 4" longer than the cargo area in my jeep. Finally wrestled it in catty cornered and inadequately secured the monster, could just see it deciding to come visit me in the front seat. Made the Jeep sit a little funny too. There was a perfectly good trailer with tie downs and a big cradle back at the house-damn. I will post a few pics when I figure out how to get it OUT of the Jeep. Wearily, LS

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I would have loved to have bought that thing.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swampman, you might just have a chance yet. This is more gun than I was planning on- half scale is more my speed as I can actually handle it myself. One thing I can assure you though, it'll be pickup only!

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Is it a full scale?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shoot. I should have made the 5 hour round trip as soon as I heard of this one, and sold a kidney to pay for it. Great buy.

Would have looked great in my office. Not sure where I would have sat afterward.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
LS,
You lucked out on this deal, congratulations! Just to be clear on this; does this ¾ scale SBR Parrott barrel have a steel liner?

·
Registered
921 Posts
LS, big question. Since south bend replicas is probably one of the most well known cannon makers why would you even want to install a liner in it?. I ask partly out of ignorance not to be a wise guy. I do understand that a little smaller bore would be more shooter friendly. You could have stopped by my place in Louisiana and offloaded it there. Frank

·
7,289 Posts
So far as I know, all the shootable SBR guns were made with a steel liner, sometimes much thicker than the minimum required by N-SSA. I would be quite surprised to hear that this gun did not have a steel liner.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frank, When I went to Florida I had no idea who made this barrel and was expecting the worst. The Southbend Replica marking was a total surprise and a welcome one. Talked to SBR yesterday and they assurred me that it is lined if made after 1975. The other reason I considered it was to have a rifled bore, I was very impressed with VA Rifleman's accuracy with his 40mm Mountain Rifle @ Floyd this spring. Of course I probably won't do it if the barrel doesn't need it. For $1000.00 I'm satisfied with it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.