Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to this forum and find the negative comments re. Rugers quite amusing.

My very first handgun was a Single Six bought in 1971. Then came a Security Six in about 1973, a Blackhawk in 1976 (200th Year Model), and a Standard Auto in about 1980. All were bought new. None were modified by any gunsmiths.

The Standard went back to the factory for an adjustment, plus I had several other personal contacts with Ruger over the years. I would rate their Customer Service at nothing less than Outstanding.

The BH has been used for hunting ever since NYS allowed the use of handguns. It has accounted for every whitetail harvested sinced then, and one was a trophy buck. The Standard was used for competitive target shooting in a pistol league. I'm no Master, but I'm not a slouch either.

I also own S&W's, Colt's, Taurus', T/C, etc, etc. but in my book the Rugers are the best.

I am as much a pro-Ruger fan as you'll ever find. But, obviously, I have had no dealings with them for years. So, when did Ruger go in the crapper, or was I just lucky.

Opinions please!!! And, for those that are not fans of Rugers, what would you suggest as a single action alternative...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm in agreement with your opinion of Ruger SA's . They are great. I would say that in my opinion that the only alternative would be the Freedom Arms line. The only problem is that no new FA's are available in Massachusetts due to a "safety" law. I doubt very much that I will run into a 475 Linebaugh in this place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also find the Rugers to fit the bill just fine for me. I use a Super Single Six for small game, and a 44mag Super Redhawk for deer and hogs. But, I do have one issue with the single action Rugers. I suppose they don't put the time needed into the trigger action to make it really good due to costs of labor or fear of lawsuits. Well, it doesn't take me too long to fix the trigger creep and gritty feel caused by unpolished cast parts. They are really quite easy to work on for anyone with good mechanical aptitude and some free time. Rugers for the most part are built to take a lot of shooting. I feel that for the money, they are quite hard to beat. Let's face it, most of us common folks don't have $1300 dollars to throw down for a Freedom Arms.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Rugers

I've shot a few hogs with my SBH 44 and it's just fine. Only thing I had to do was install an inexpensive set of Wolff Springs to lighten things up a bit and it's great. Sure do want a nice FA 454 though -- wish Ruger would make one on the SBH frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rugers RULE! heh heh heh :twisted: !

I've owned every Ruger that has been built with the exception of their short lived 'Hawkeye', and have found them to be everything they have been touted to be. As my name suggests, I am particularly fond of their flattops :D !! I like FA's 83, but at that price, I can get usually 2 or 3 flattops.

Flattop

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've got at least one in .22, .32, .357, .41, .44, and .45 Colt calibers. Still looking for a .30 carbine & maybe .357 max... I agree, though, that they'd sell a few more if they came out with a BH/SBH in .454 or .480.

·
22,952 Posts
Ive got a bunch of them and like was allready posted the only complaint with them is the terrible factory trigger and some of them need throating. But when you can pick up a good one for $250 used there isnt a better bang for the buck deal in the world.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right now I only have one Ruger handgun but over the years I have owned several. I feel that Ruger makes one of the best products for the money and my belief in that feeling is backed up with the fact that I own stock in the company (symbol RGR). Except for the one Ruger I own, all of my single actions are Colts. They are much more expensive than Rugers, not as strong a design but I just find something very appealing about Colt single actions that I can only attempt to overcome by buying more Colts. :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like Rugers. I feel they are hard to beat when it comes to value for the money. They serve my purposes of self defense, plinking, and hunting just fine. I have the following Rugers:

P89 - 9 mm
Blackhawk - 10 mm/38-40 convertible
Singlesix - 22/22 mag convertible
Mark II - 22 LR
10/22 - 22 LR

·
Registered
93 Posts
ruger sight problems

I like the look of Ruger s/a revolvers so I bought one with a fixed sight. It shot so far to the left that I couldn't live with it and sold it. I have read about barrel bending, filing the front sight on one side and other fixes that seem extreme. A friend bought a Blackhawk that shot so far to the left that the adjustable sights couldn't correct for it. He put on a scope and solved the problem. Other than that I like rugers. They are strong, and good value for the price.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I am fond of them myself but there are lemmons in everything. I owned a 12" barreled, single six convertible that sprayed lead big time with the 22 lr cylinder. I had lead in my hand, it chipped the paint on the hood of my truck, it even stung the guy next to me while shooting at the range. I like their revolvers in spite of this experience and wish they made a 32-20. This baby would be in my gun cabinet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:)
I have 2 BH's .41 mag. and .45 colt. $300 & $330 each, n.i.b. For a middle income person thats hard to bet, especilly sense u can turn the
.45 colt into a .45 mag in the BH (32000 psi). who needs more. matter of fact i just come from loading so .45's. these guns are fun to play with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Over the years I've sold/traded off my Smiths, Tauruses, etc and kept or acquired more Rugers. The Freedom Arms are tops in my book but alas, being a man of medium means the Rugers have fit the bill. And when it came time that I could afford a FA, I ended up having a couple of my Rugers customized instead. So for now I have a Custom Ruger Bisley by Gary Reeder in 45 Colt (5-shot), A Custom Ruger Redhawk by Dave Clements in 45 Colt, A Ruger SBH 44 Mag (which I consider the King of the 44 Mag revolvers), a Ruger SP101 .357 Mag for my carry gun and for fun/squirrels/rabbit and competition a Ruger MKII Comp/Target slabside 22LR. Oh and also a dreaded long gun - a Ruger 77/22HVT 22 Hornet, and am saving for a Ruger No. 1 stainless/laminated in 25-06. Yep, like Rugers a lot. :wink:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I feel ruger started to decline when they started making the new model rugers. just don't like them, have old 3 screws except for one a 32 mag. they have there problems but what doesn't they are good equipment 8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have been shooting Rugers for over 30 years with complete satisfaction. I tried to get my kids to name one of my grandsons Ruger, no luck so far. The only problem I have with Rugers is that I can't seem to get enough of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I shot an old model bearcat at the range saturday.i'm now lusting after one. i was worried about it shooting anywhere but point of aim with the fixed sights, but with the cheap federal lightnings, it's dead on and very easy to hit with!if i ever get bacfk on my feet, i'm sneaking one in the house!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the new model Bearcat, it is a little jewel. I am going to load it with CB caps and use it to introduce my grandsons to handgunning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can toss my two bits in on Ruger's. I have 3 at the present time and just called the factory in Arizona today on my old Mark I 22 auto. I got this gun in 1968 and have been shooting comp with it on and off for 33 years. Replaced a few magazines during that time but nothing else. Just last night during a match it started jamming during the feed process and was crushing the sides of the 22 ammo. Needless to say I stopped shooting immediately. Anyway I am shipping it to the factory and they will repair it and replace all of the magazines for the total cost of a big ZERO!!! The only charge I have to pay is the shipping by FedEX and they will pay the return shipping. The blueing is also shot on it and they will factory blue it for $70.00!!!! Where can you get that kind of service on something 33 years old??? I will stay with Rugers for my everyday shooting. I also have Colt 1911A1's etc. but I do like my Rugers. I apologize for putting a 22 auto post on the Single Action Revolver section but I just wanted to comment on my experience with Ruger :grin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Keep shooting your Rugers long enough and the fondness will go away! Just teasing!! I love my .45 Balckhawk, SBH Hunter, my No#1 243 and my M77RSI 308. That's all I own. Life is too short to own just Rugers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts