Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a .243 stainless steel ( I think) Handi with black synthetic stock in a local pawn shop today. Everything looked good except about 3 inches back from the muzzel, it looked like specs of rust, more like rust bleeding threw white paint . Wonder what caused this? Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a remedy?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Probably nickle plated. Some are. The original owner probably got a scratch through the finish and started to rust. Once that happened, instead of fixing it, he probably painted it with silver paint of some sort to cover it for sale... Try some paint remover on that spot and see what's underneath...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
If it is one you wanted and the price was good just keep it oiled up real good and use it. That "rust" may be a very good way to get the price down to where you have room to fix it, or just get a better deal and use it for years. I have seen that look on other brands of guns and it is weird, it isn't really rust like on a car or regular gun, but almost a brown dye look... it may steel wool right off but until it is yours you won't get to find out. Good luck, if you get it I hope it wipes right off. thejanitor

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
petemi said:
I envy you guys with your pawn shops. The closest one to me is 100 miles and he doesn't have an FFL :'(

Pete
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Know what you mean Pete..a couple shops a bit closer to me, if I want a good supply of electronic musical stuff..that's about it !

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Pawn shops can be tough places to find good deals on guns here in my area.

Being in a larger city the pawn shops are fairly common, and not on every corner but close to it.

I seldom see Handi's in any of them, and the one time I did, you could buy a brand new one from the local gunshop for the same price or cheaper, and even then, it didn't last long. :(

They aren't in a hurry to sell them so they know they can slap a high price tag on them, and know someone will walk through the door eventually and buy it for that price. Of course they have haggle room, but you still don't get that good a deal in these parts, and that is you can even find one.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Stainless steel is made in various grades, some of which WILL rust. Even marine grade will, over time. That is why it is called stain-less, not stain-free. :D As has been mentioned, it could also be nickle plated. Take a magnet with you when you look at it again. If it sticks to the barrel it is probably plated.

-WH-

·
Super Moderator
51,894 Posts
H&R uses 416 series SS with magnetic properties for the SS barrels, so the magnet won't prove anything, and it isn't immune to rust as had been stated. The 243 was offered in SS, it had a stainless barrel and matte nickel frame. Some of the nickel barrels I'm aware of are the 45-410 Survivor, Snaketamer and the H&R Inc Handy Gun II.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.