Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Handi rifle for my son. It's a 45-70. We got it because he liked my 44mag with peep and firesights, but sighted 44s are not offered anymore. I did the 44 the "Junior Doughty way", with JB-weld and the wrong size screw.

Given that sight mounting screw sizes may have changed again, what is currently the simplest method of getting a front fiber optic bead on a handi?

FYI-We have agreed to trade guns immediately if my son (17) does not like the recoil of the 45-70; he'll probably end up with the 44.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,
My main concern is with attaching the ramp. It states on the FYI page that the screw size-type have changed such that the ramp comes with 6-48 screw while the rifle comes with a sight that has a 3-48 screw. (There was also reference to a 4-56 screw on a search I did on other threads.)

When I did this with a 44 Mag a couple years ago, the screws were different then and the threads deformed upon tightening. I resorted to epoxy as described on the Castbullet website. I was wondering if there was a better way two years later.

Also, I called H&R about the fiber-optic front sight offered on the 500 magnum, but they don't offer it as a part and it is to be discontinued. They would supply any other information about that sight or who made it. They no longer offer the WGRS peepsight either, but that is easy to find elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
The 3-48 thread is the correct smaller size, I've attached the Williams ramp using the factory 3-48 screw instead of the 6-48 that comes with it with no problems IF you have the screw, the alternative to epoxy is to drill and tap the smaller hole to 6-48, any gunsmith could do that for you, you could even do it yourself if you're the DIY type, it's not all that hard with an existing hole, you would need to order the drill and taps from Brownells tho, a tap guide would be helpful, but by the time you bought all the tools, you may spend more than a smith would charge for one hole.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts