Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was experimenting with shooting different calibers at sheets of 1/2" thick "unbreakable" lexan polycarbonate sheets. 22 barely stuck in it, 380 barely stuck in, 9mm went through, 40 went through, 357 went through and broke it, 45acp put a big dent in it but didn't penetrate, 00 buck went through and broke it, 12 ga slug went through and broke it, 30-06 went through it, broke it into many small pieces and went through a small 3" tree behind it. What does this all mean? Nothing, just messing around in the woods

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wet newspaper will give a better idea of what a particular caliber/bullet will due in tissue. Sticking bones inside the newspaper gives a pretty good idea of what your caliber/bullet does when shooting different animals. Not exact, but cheaper than shooting a bunch of cows.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Exactly how much would it cost to shoot a bunch of cows? :-D Sometimes when I go hunting and don't see anything except for cows, I toy with the idea of shooting one, but always wondered how much it would cost me. :)

Zachary

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Zachary: Well I had a bull that when I bought him he cost me over $6,000.00 and he was less than a year old nuthing fancy but it could get expensive if you went to s. texas around the King Ranch and shot one of those high dollar ones. :D JIM

·
Registered
561 Posts
Even the "scrub" cows get expensive when you shoot one. I've been out of the cow business for a while, but I'd imagine several hundred dollars everytime you kill one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zachary,

Where we hunt for whitetails we were told that if you shoot one of the countless cows in the area it will cost you $0.80 per pound, LIVE weight.

Needless to say nobody shot a cow that weekend.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Cows

Hay ssmith: if it's 80 cents per pound live weight, how much is it after ya'll shoot it. Jes wonderin'. Mikey. (sorry guys, I just had to throw that one in there)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It's been figured that, in Wisconsin, if you really have to satisfy your bloodlust, you're better off taking it out on a cow than poaching a deer. It would be cheaper to buy it off the farmer than to have the warden fine you $1,000 then take your truck, gun, and every other piece of equipment that you used in the illegal deed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts