Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around in our area it has been very surprising at how people are buying up all kinds of things. A local sporting goods store sold 130 kayaks in two weeks. To look at the fishing shelves at Walmart, they are empty. And then we get to everything lawn and garden; a lot of people must have gotten into gardening whether for flowers or edibles because you cannot find hardly anything in our area, all has been bought up. I went to four different stores to get bird netting, to protect our berries, and there is none. It is funny that you cannot even find widemouth canning lids in our area. You can get the narrow mouth but no one ever has widemouth. It will be an interesting year.

Longwinters

·
23,845 Posts
Try to find a lever action rifle in pistol caliber.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The trucks are just not coming in as they used to either, at least not to many places with all these riots, CCP Virus (Covid) stay at home orders etc. So inventory is getting low on a bunch of things that would normally be restocked as they are purchased. The Just In Time (JIT) inventory/supply management system in the supply chain has found it's weak link.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
It seems that some folks, when they get an extra 2 cents, are like little kids, and rush out to spend it ! Perhaps that is why, when I sought a replacement laptop at Wally World, they only had one model available, and not many of them.

I passed back then, and kept using the one I borrowed from my son..I'll order one on line soon.

An interesting aside.. My son is a professional photographer.. he refused the $600 freebee, and started working even harder. His primary

specialties is real estate.

Some other photographers in the same specialty took the $600 extra and stayed home.

One day, the SBA called him and asked... "As a small business, what can we do for you, a grant ..a loan"? My son replied.. "What you can

do for me is to leave me alone, and let me work"!

As he figured, seeing those other photographers back off, and knowing the quality of his own work opportunities would be coming.

He soon received calls from the high end realtors who previously used the other guys. Now my son has a wealth of new clients which

he was not already serving.

Soon he can choose only the high end stuff, and let the stay at home guys pick up the low end stuff that he won't have time for !

·
Registered
521 Posts
Was in Sportsman's Whorehouse in Reno the other day. ZERO defensive handgun ammo, although they did have several defensive handguns on the wall. That was shocking to me. I think many are expecting another go-round with COVID-19 come the Fall, so they are stocking-up on the things that were unavailable the last time around. I'll tell you what-- I have enough obamawipe now to go several years...

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
At the present, the hot item seems to be real estate including vacant land. Real estate in this area has been somewhat lower thn other places in the nation.

I hope this indicates some industrial/technological development for this end of the state.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Went to the local WalMart two days ago, and the ammo shelves are full again, they had deer corn, and most other things stocked up.... What was strange was no guns at all!

I asked the clerk if they had stopped selling guns, and he replied that they trucked them to a secure location so the rioters couldn't steal them. The store isn't too far from Philladelphia and the peaceful protests that turn violent every time the "protests" begin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I’m buying a couple of cordless power tools and batteries. I’m working on how to charge them with solar power. I’m thinking tools will be handy if I get to the point where I want to hunker down off the grid to get away from a pandemic. (or just gotten tired of people‘s ****)

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
The garden shops temp. and full time, with few exceptions had , at most, 50 percent of the usual veggies but still had a lot of flowers.
The other half said though many flowers there every year were not.
Either they sold out quickly or they did not bother with them.

Oddly some garden shops opened even later and had more variety if not total plants.
TJ Maxx, for what ever reason had a clearance sale.
I went in yesterday and actually asked if they were going out of business, shelves, especially clothes and cooking utensils were 98.6 percent empty.; she said no they had more coming but ... I could not understand all of what she said because she had a mask on.

Gopher, the local bargain/clearance store has a lot of empty space in groceries and cleaning supplies; the auto/tools section is probably down 50 percent.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Are those items being sold out, or is production down, due to the Wuhan virus alarmists ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Local news had a segment on the little "kiddie" pools, none to be found, another shortage so to speak. LOL Local walmart had removed their guns from display a couple weeks ago, but are now back on display. Never did remove all the accessories as they couldn't hurt anyone unless you forced some snowflake to drink something. LOL.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
People stuck at home, demand is high. They "now" see the advantage of growing any of their own food.
As a result they cleaned out local sources for plants, seeds, tools.

Fishing is UP, I heard it said that Minnesota sold more licences this year than at any point in the last 30 years.
Another way to bring food home that works well if you have time.

Trucking shipping is working, but it slow. Getting better.

We have amazon prime and normally figure 3 days vs 2 because we are kinda back in the sticks. Some things pre pandemic would take 4.
When the pandemic hit most of those company's shipping guys went home. So you have new bodies in place, green as grass with no clue how to do the job.

So we saw 3 days go to 3-4 weeks. Now its about half and half. Half here in 3 days, half a week to a month depending on where it is coming from.

Also just as a FYI. My wife and I had been kind of laid up in Jan/Feb. So I sent 100$ to Instantcart and we started doing our grocery shopping at hime had it delivered. Delivery times went from 2-3 hours to over a week once the pandemic hit. Getting better again now.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Much of what is in short supply is seasonal. It’s ordered months and months ago. Those orders were not filled by factories located in pandemic ravaged China. They weren’t shipped in the quantities that would be considered normal.

People have vast amounts of free time for either recreation or home repair. Can’t go anywhere near crowds so fishing it is. Low lumber supplies have been reported, hmm, wonder why.

With so much restock and supply generated by past sales your simply not going to get restocked, there is not a source to restock. The supply chain is focused on fall and winter now. Think Halloween Candy, leaf rakes, and snow blowers. Our distribution center is back to 100% staffing and nearing that volume as well. Nobody left on furlough and short staffed / overtime in some areas.

Shortages would appear to to be a positive sign in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts