Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More shooters are doing this and we pick it up and reload it. It's still cheaper somewhat but the perk is you
can tailor make a round that you want. 55 gr is blah, I like the 62gr JHP loaded hot.
You can hear it hit it makes a POP when it hits anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,016 Posts
i have picked up brass from indoor and out door gun ranges, state land and other places.
most friends and family who shoot dont reload, so i get alot of brass from them too..
i have even bought ammo brand new from stores and took it apart for the components
i do what i do ;) wont recommend other follow me though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,740 Posts
I am fortunate to have about a half dozen places within a short drive to shoot.Several are on BLM land and a few on private timber company land. My shooting pard and I have picked up untold numbers of brass over the years.We still find some regularly, but nothing like before the ammo shortages and price increases.We shoot at least once a week weather permitting, and lately have had to lay off because of fire dangers.

We have at this time in Oregon several fires burning here in the Southern counties.I see a lot more of military Berdan primed steel case ammo on the ground now instead of good Boxer primed brass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,055 Posts
I have a place I shoot on the back 40. My son and all his friends show up during the fall, and practice. After they leave I clean up all their pop cans, water bottles, trash, and sort out what brass I use.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nw_hunter said:
I am fortunate to have about a half dozen places within a short drive to shoot.Several are on BLM land and a few on private timber company land. My shooting pard and I have picked up untold numbers of brass over the years.We still find some regularly, but nothing like before the ammo shortages and price increases.We shoot at least once a week weather permitting, and lately have had to lay off because of fire dangers.

We have at this time in Oregon several fires burning here in the Southern counties.I see a lot more of military Berdan primed steel case ammo on the ground now instead of good Boxer primed brass.

There is a lot of that old Wolf stuff laying around. It's steel so it starts to rust, but that makes it easier to pick out on the ground from the good stuff. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Argent11 said:
There is a lot of that old Wolf stuff laying around. It's steel so it starts to rust, but that makes it easier to pick out on the ground from the good stuff. Lol

The public range I used in Alabama was littered with steel case 223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r and 22LR. All of the reloadable handgun cases were either collected by their users or by the guys hanging around to scavenge.


It is a different story in Oregon. The last time I went shooting I picked up hundreds of brass 9mm and 40 S&W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,510 Posts
JSH1 said:
The public range I used in Alabama was littered with steel case 223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r and 22LR. All of the reloadable handgun cases were either collected by their users or by the guys hanging around to scavenge.


It is a different story in Oregon. The last time I went shooting I picked up hundreds of brass 9mm and 40 S&W.
what a shame. that's how places get closed, that and shot-up glass bottle fragments.
used to be some places to shoot around here that weren't exactly shooting areas, but
as long as everyone behaved, and was safe, and didn't litter, the authorities didn't mess with you.
in fact, several of the folks i'd shot with were off-duty deputies and poleece.
those are all long gone because of the yo-yo knotheads trashing up and shooting willy-nilly.
( polite ^ ^ ^description^ )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Ranger99 said:
what a shame. that's how places get closed, that and shot-up glass bottle fragments.
used to be some places to shoot around here that weren't exactly shooting areas, but
as long as everyone behaved, and was safe, and didn't litter, the authorities didn't mess with you.
in fact, several of the folks i'd shot with were off-duty deputies and poleece.
those are all long gone because of the yo-yo knotheads trashing up and shooting willy-nilly.
( polite ^ ^ ^description^ )

It is a shame. The place I currently shoot is on state forest land. It is in an area popular with hikers and fishermen so I'm sure the litter doesn't go unnoticed. One of these days I expect to arrive and find it a no shooting sign posted. Litter is a serious issue for shooters that we need to start taking more seriously.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ranger99 said:
JSH1 said:
The public range I used in Alabama was littered with steel case 223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r and 22LR. All of the reloadable handgun cases were either collected by their users or by the guys hanging around to scavenge.


It is a different story in Oregon. The last time I went shooting I picked up hundreds of brass 9mm and 40 S&W.
what a shame. that's how places get closed, that and shot-up glass bottle fragments.
used to be some places to shoot around here that weren't exactly shooting areas, but
as long as everyone behaved, and was safe, and didn't litter, the authorities didn't mess with you.
in fact, several of the folks i'd shot with were off-duty deputies and poleece.
those are all long gone because of the yo-yo knotheads trashing up and shooting willy-nilly.
( polite ^ ^ ^description^ )

You don't have to go to a rang here, that's for city boys. Here any caliche pit will do and they are everywhere due to road construction. But ranger your right, one of my favorite pits was shut down by the EPA because people were taking anything out there to shoot at. Old TVs, cars, appliances, lots of glass bottles.
It isn't like you couldn't see this coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,510 Posts
when there were places that i used to be able to dove
hunt (pre housing subdivision boom) it wasn't nothing
for me to pick up 50-100 shotgun hulls that the yo-yo's
had left before i got there. not to mention drink cans
and gatorade bottles. i got to where i would carry a
grocery sack or two just to haul trash back out.
these folks nowdays just don't realize the damage
it does (besides ecologically) to relationship between
hunters (and fishermen) and landowners. a lot of the
folks that have come here from other states always ask
why we don't have as much accessible land like there
is in * * * * (fill in the blank)
i always tell 'em "it's cuz lazy a****les threw their trash
down and acted stupid and got the place closed-that's why. . "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Argent11 said:
[You don't have to go to a rang here, that's for city boys. Here any caliche pit will do and they are everywhere due to road construction. But ranger your right, one of my favorite pits was shut down by the EPA because people were taking anything out there to shoot at. Old TVs, cars, appliances, lots of glass bottles.
It isn't like you couldn't see this coming.

Even city boys can drive out into the woods and shoot. However, there was a free public range within 5 miles of my house complete with shotgun and pistol / rifle ranges, with benches and lines to hang targets every 25 yards. It would be a bit foolish to go make my own range when the State of Alabama was using my tax dollars to maintain a range right by my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,740 Posts
... that's why we can't have nice things. Honestly, laws & signs don't make better people, they just keep conscientious people honest. trash just gives the other side a reason to further take away opportunities to shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
"My son and all his friends show up during the fall, and practice. After they leave I clean up all their pop cans, water bottles, trash, and sort out what brass I use."

Would only happen once at my place. I would first get in their case about being PIGS Let them know it isn't proper behavior and they are not welcome if it happens again.

:) Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,055 Posts
alleyyooper said:
"My son and all his friends show up during the fall, and practice. After they leave I clean up all their pop cans, water bottles, trash, and sort out what brass I use."

Would only happen once at my place. I would first get in their case about being PIGS Let them know it isn't proper behavior and they are not welcome if it happens again.

:) Al
Howdy Al: It's kinda like Thanksgiving Dinner. The family arrives at Gram ma's clean home. After eating and visiting, all the kin-folks finally leave, and there mamma left with all the stacks of dirty dishes, pots, N pans, and the house is pretty much a mess. Although she's worn down to a frazzle, she's thankful the families have a place to come and enjoy the fellowship for a lil while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Isn't any thanks giving dinner at my gramd ma's house in my family like that either. Every one pitches in to put things away after the meal. People collect in the kitchen to wash all the dishes and put them away while visiting even the guys. Men are looking after the young ones while visiting and MAYBE watching a foot ball game afterwards so the women can continue to visit.. But before every one leaves for home, left overs are split up between each family and the house is in order for Grand ma.
No body who wants an invite back to one of grand ma's holiday meals is a slob and leaves stuff for grand ma to take care of. That is the rules and if you don't like it stay home and pig up your own home.

:) Al
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,611 Posts
alleyyooper said:
Isn't any thanks giving dinner at my gramd ma's house in my family like that either. Every one pitches in to put things away after the meal. People collect in the kitchen to wash all the dishes and put them away while visiting even the guys. Men are looking after the young ones while visiting and MAYBE watching a foot ball game afterwards so the women can continue to visit.. But before every one leaves for home, left overs are split up between each family and the house is in order for Grand ma.
No body who wants an invite back to one of grand ma's holiday meals is a slob and leaves stuff for grand ma to take care of. That is the rules and if you don't like it stay home and pig up your own home.

:) Al



It been just like that for EVER (I can remember) with my family... Till grand ma was gone then mom gone now its at my or my sisters home and this continues.


CW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
alleyyooper said:
Isn't any thanks giving dinner at my gramd ma's house in my family like that either. Every one pitches in to put things away after the meal. People collect in the kitchen to wash all the dishes and put them away while visiting even the guys. Men are looking after the young ones while visiting and MAYBE watching a foot ball game afterwards so the women can continue to visit.. But before every one leaves for home, left overs are split up between each family and the house is in order for Grand ma.
No body who wants an invite back to one of grand ma's holiday meals is a slob and leaves stuff for grand ma to take care of. That is the rules and if you don't like it stay home and pig up your own home.

:) Al

Same in my family. No one leaves before the dishes are done and put away. Back when my grandmother heated with wood we would split and stack 4 cords of wood for her Thanksgiving morning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,530 Posts
alleyyooper said:
Isn't any thanks giving dinner at my gramd ma's house in my family like that either. Every one pitches in to put things away after the meal. People collect in the kitchen to wash all the dishes and put them away while visiting even the guys. Men are looking after the young ones while visiting and MAYBE watching a foot ball game afterwards so the women can continue to visit.. But before every one leaves for home, left overs are split up between each family and the house is in order for Grand ma.
No body who wants an invite back to one of grand ma's holiday meals is a slob and leaves stuff for grand ma to take care of. That is the rules and if you don't like it stay home and pig up your own home. :) Al
Always been that way at our house also. But there is always plenty of work for Grand Daddy to do after everyone's gone. ;)

Now at Christmas things are a little different. After dinner, the men excuse themselves and retire to a smoking area for brandy, cigars and man talk. No wimmins or kids allowed for one (1) hour and one hour only! Now you'd think one hour a year isn't much but it must not take the wimmin folk long to clean up 'cause in all these years we have NEVER made it without our presence being demanded! :(

I don't usually find useable brass at my gun club anymore but most folk there handload.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top