Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,032 Posts
Perhaps a stupid question=Why buy a smooth

There's only one reason I can think of, to shoot bird shot it for rats and other barn loving critters.

Tim

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thats about all I could figure too. Wonder why Savage even put this model out?
You have to give it to them, they really go out of their way to fill the voids and needs of shooters.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts

myarmor said:
Thats about all I could figure too. Wonder why Savage even put this model out?
You have to give it to them, they really go out of their way to fill the voids and needs of shooters.
Because a number of people don't care for patching up bullet holes in their buildings. I use pellet guns(both rifles and pistols) myself. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

When I was at Boy Scout camp many years ago, there was a mini trap range that used such guns along with little clay birds that were only about 2 inches in diameter. Does this game not still exist? Otherwise, pest control would explain the demand anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

Shorty: I loved shooting "Skeet" with smooth bore .22's loaded with bird shot at Scout camp. A great sport. :grin: Lots of safety training, and a respect for firearms. Not a bad diversion for those days that we could not go to the rifle range. Better then spending my few coins on candy.

Despite what the bottom feeders say, a well run scouting program teachs kids safety, respect, leadership, and responsibility. And a douse of God and Country. My hat goes to the guys who took the time to be our(my scoutmaster) when I was a kid.

Savage put out both rifle's and smooth bores for the Scouting programs. I believe the Camp I went to had both Savage and Remington's. Before the politically correct years came along I recall seeing those rifles advertised.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

Vermin Control!
You would be amazed how tight of a pattern
some of those old smoothbores will hold.
(several manufacturers made them, Mine is actually
a Daisy)They are great for barn rats and Hay loft
Pigeons(sp). I do believe 1 manufacturer actually had
a version with an adjustable choke.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Siskiyou said:
Shorty: I loved shooting "Skeet" with smooth bore .22's loaded with bird shot at Scout camp. A great sport. :grin: Lots of safety training, and a respect for firearms. Not a bad diversion for those days that we could not go to the rifle range. Better then spending my few coins on candy.

Despite what the bottom feeders say, a well run scouting program teachs kids safety, respect, leadership, and responsibility. And a douse of God and Country. My hat goes to the guys who took the time to be our(my scoutmaster) when I was a kid.

Savage put out both rifle's and smooth bores for the Scouting programs. I believe the Camp I went to had both Savage and Remington's. Before the politically correct years came along I recall seeing those rifles advertised.
I agree. I think they dcalled that "MoSkeet".......... back in the day at Boy Scout Camp. I think it cost us 15 cents for 5 shots..........

regards
Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts

Moskeet or Skeeto-the game has been around a long time and ebbs and wanes in about a generation. Fun game to play and when we had shot the targets to pieces we switched to using Ritz crackers for birds.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Yep, Mossberg made a smoothbore .22 gun, and had the launchers for it too. Even came with a screw-on rifled adapter to shoot standard .22LR loads more accurately. A complete set will bring premium prices from collectors.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I think most of the old gallery rifles that one could shoot at carnivals for prizes (10 shots for a dollar as I recall) were smoothbore. At least they shot those gallery loads as if they were. I couldn't have been THAT bad, even at fourteen...

Goatlips

·
Registered
24,772 Posts

Me and a friend use to shoot my little Stevens single shot 22 almost every day. It had a hood on the front sight. We collected bottles and cans and shot them....then we started throwing them in the air to shoot. All you had to do was have a consistant cheek weld on the stock and get the flying bottle or can in the hood and you could it with standard 22lr ammo....lots of fun...and impressed alot of people.
Later,,when we went to BoyScout camp the Mosskeet competition got down between me and my friend. We shot one after another of the little clays as they flew down range and the 22 birdshot made it easy for us. A crowd gathered around to watch us compete, and the scout leaders were in disbelieve of our ability to hit the little birds. Actually, the sun was starting to set as we finished the shoot-off. I'm proud to say I won that competition with my best friend by one clay. That was many moons ago.

..............TM7

·
Registered
650 Posts

I have a choked Remington pump-action smoothbore. Range is still a little short to be reliable on sparrows, but back when we had livestock it terrorized the local rat population. My father still uses it to convince stray cats beating up our resident barn cats that they should find alternative accomodations.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

Bumble Bees are a blast with one too.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

I'll stick to my single six for bees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts