Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Leave it in year round here also, that is the petetion that I would sign also.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Was depressing yesterday to see it getting dark right at 5:00. That and knowing that for months ahead it will do the same. I'll gladly sign on to that petition but I doubt anything will change. :-\

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I think that staying on daylight savings time year round would make for A HAPPIER WORLD. Kids would get to play in the light a little while after school and so would Mommy and Daddy after work.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
i have never understood the logic either pro or con on "daylight saving time". there's only 24hrs in a day so you're not really "saving" or "losing" an hour anywhere. when ya know it's gonna get dark sooner get an earlier start. when ya know it'll stay daylight a while longer procrastinate a bit if that's yer style. pick a time & stick with it.

the very best explanation I ever heard on the subject : "daylight saving time is like cutting a foot off of a blanket on one end & sewing it to the other end to make the blanket longer". makes about as much sense to me.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
The way I've heard it explained is that it's so "the chillllll-dren" can have light when they're going off to school in the morning, which is code for the more likely reason that employers lobbied for it because people have a harder time waking up and getting alert when it's dark in the morning.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Kinda sorta related to this time thing. I had breakfast with my buddy after a busy time at work and told thim I hadn't had a day off in a few months. He's been retired for a while and his response was "I haven't had a day off in eight years!". Funny!

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Personally, I don't care much which people choose...but for heaven's sake ..CHOOSE ONE ! This jerking around is aggravating.

I understand the daylight saving time was conjured up during WW2, for those defense plants which worked just one shift. Theoretically, these large plants would not be using so much electricity to light their volume. I suppose somebody could Google up the real info.

Arizona for instance, quit that Merry-Go-Round years ago, and has never been hurt by it!

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
It was first proposed by Ben Franklin as a way of saving candles in the evening. It was put into law during WWI in 1918 also to save energy in the evenings. It's been studied quite a bit, and doesn't really have any advantages. A lot of places don't use it or gave up on it, including several US territories and increasing number of states. I wonder if anyone ever stops to think whether much has changed since 1918.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Conan said:
It was first proposed by Ben Franklin as a way of saving candles in the evening. It was put into law during WWI in 1918 also to save energy in the evenings. It's been studied quite a bit, and doesn't really have any advantages. A lot of places don't use it or gave up on it, including several US territories and increasing number of states. I wonder if anyone ever stops to think whether much has changed since 1918.

I've read where the Nazis used it in N. Africa, and sprung it on the British who were still on regular time.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I heard a congressman did it on a bet that he could get the entire country to get up an hour earlier in the morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts