Graybeard Outdoors banner

Picked up Another 1911

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  8uck5nort 
#1 ·
This one is a RIA in 10mm. I decided to go with this over a revolver in 357 mag. It will be my bear medicine if my moose hunt to Alaska pans out. I am hoping it does.

Any suggestions on tuning the pistol for heavy bear loads? I have also decided on a Diamond D chest holster. I appreciate everyone who helped me kick around the options. This was not an easy choice.

#4 · (Edited)
Let us know how it shoot for you when you get it. I have a Glock 10mm, but was considering a RIA 10mm as well. I have a RIA 1911 in .45 acp, and it is a lot of pistol for the money.

I think in picking a 10mm, you made a fine choice. Unlike what many think, you are not going to blow a big bear off his feet with any practical handgun. What you need is deep penetration to reach the spine or brain, reliability, and controllability. The extra power of say a 454 mag, or 500 S&W will not really help any, and will slow you down for subsequent shots. A warm, hard cast 200 / 220 grain SWC will penetrate plenty deep enough, and still allow fast repeat shots if needed. Of course, your real big bear defense is your rifle, if needed. By the way, I recently watched a couple videos on the Sportsman Channel where a guy hunted Cape Buffalo with a hot loaded Glock 10mm. One shot kills on several of them, with one brain shot, and one killed with a lung shot. The penetration is there with the right load....

I would think they already come with a proper recoil spring, but I might pick up one from someone like Wolfe that is a couple pounds stronger than stock, and function test it with the warm loads you intend to carry for reliability. If you go too heavy on the spring, you will know it by experiencing cycling failures. The biggest issue I have seen with a lot of 1911's is an improperly fit extractor - any easy fix. Good luck on that Moose hunt. I was lucky enough to draw a Moose tag years ago in Maine, and took a nice bull with a handgun at about 40 yards. Then the fun ended, and the real work began....:)

Larry

#6 ·
This is my insurance piece should I be caught without my rifle which is a Ruger M77 in 358 Norma Mag.

I did a ton of research on "bear guns" and other deterrents. I also did a lot of research on the pistols themselves. I looked real hard at two revolvers, the Ruger GP100 in 357 mag and the Taurus Tracker in 357 mag. I also looked at 2 semi autos in 10mm. The Glock and the 1911. My budget allowed for 450.00 to 600.00 for the pistol. I allowed 150.00 to 200.00 for a good backwoods comfortable holster that has to be worn at all times.

Reason why I picked the Semi-Auto over a Revolver:

1. Revolvers are simpler to use, and I was initially convinced this was the best route. I researched this to prove out my view, but in video after video of people doing testing and reaction training with both revolvers and semi-autos the thing I noticed is the semi-autos were faster with follow up shots and frankly appeared easier to control. That initial first shot advantage and simpler to use advantage of the revolver appears to be negated by the ease of control and rapid follow up shots that Semi-Autos provide. This started to change my perceptions. I still do believe I could be effective with a revolver and I do believe the 357 mag in a revolver is sufficient bear medicine provided you have the proper training, shot, and ammunition in that order to put down a bear. I believe from doing my research that the 357 is probably the minimum in a hand gun caliber in those lightning fast life or death situations where the bear has managed to close the distance before you know it is there. I also know that there are revolvers chambered in 10 mm, but they are just outside of my price range.
2. I already have a SA in the RIA 1911 and that will help reinforce my familiarity and training. This was ultimately the deciding factor.
3. Revolvers are more dependable that Semi-Autos. Yes and No. In my research and in my limited practical experience shows both platforms to be reliable in almost all circumstances provided you maintain them and use good quality ammunition. Both platforms can and do have issues. I have seen torture tests on Glocks and 1911s that were extreme and both platforms worked. I have not seen any real torture tests on revolvers, but I imagine they would hold up as well within reasonable limits. Dirt and other foreign matter in critical moving parts can cause havoc with any platform. Frankly the pistol I have seen take the absolute most abuse and still work are the Hi-Points... Go figure.

The RIA 1911 10mm became my obvious chioice for the following reasons:

1. Both the Glock and the RIA fit the price range. 500.00 to 600.00 depending on who was selling them.
2. I am going to become very familiar with shooting and maintaining the platform. Since I just picked up a RIA in 45 acp this was the deciding factor.
3. I only need one holster for both 1911s since they are externally almost identical. Training with the actual equipment is paramount in my mind.
4. The 1911 is a proven time tested platform that is tough and dependable and so is the Glock, and admittedly probably even more so when all things are considered. However, reason 2 and 3 overrode this slight and debatable advantage. In a bear charge the round count after 2 or 3 shots is probably a moot point. Both pistols carry sufficient rounds you can possibly expend during the time frame (2-4 seconds) you will have to expend them. So a Glocks capacity advantage is a non factor in my opinion.

The reason I went with the 10mm over the 357 mag.

1. 10mm does provide a slight advantage in power and penetration provided I hit what I am aiming at and have the right loads in my magazine for the situation.
2. Both rounds are readily available commercially and at about the same in costs.

As a side note I reload for the 357 mag already. I will probably need to ramp up and provision for the 10mm. I really was not keen on the idea of opening up another cartridge in a caliber I did not already have. However, I have time to build up equipment and start getting a sufficient ammunition store to train effectively and become proficient.

In closing being "bear aware" is probably my first and best defense. Be aware of your surroundings just like in any other personal defense situation. Reacting in a trained and controlled manner is my second defense and using the chosen firearm in an effective manner is third. I will not lie, hopefully I will get to see a bear in Alaska. At a distance. I have never seen one outside of a zoo.

PS
My wife and I are both going to Alaska on this trip should it happen. She will be staying with friends while I am out hunting. She plans on doing some salmon fishing. She said a fresh salmon offering and distance with some back up bear spray will be her bear defense. She is a lot braver than I am...

PS
I still want a 357 mag revolver...

#8 ·
Picked it up today. Ran 25 rounds of Armscor 180s through it when I got home. Flawless. Felt recoil was not much more than the 45 acp. Frankly it feels really good in the hand and is very controllable. Next up the holster. Then lots and lots of practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.