Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my 458 Lott up today from my gunsmith. I have to say I am thrilled with it. The work is excellent and the balance is perfect. I really like the feel of Accuracy Inovations stock, it balances out that heavy barrel really well. It turned out a tad heavier than I had originally planned but still not bad. I figure its weight at around 10lbs maybe 11 with the scope. It balances so well that it doesn't seem that heavy though. Here are the specifics...

Winchester m70 classic action, formerly a 300 winchester mag.
24" douglas barrel
Accuracy Inovations stock
Brockmans pop up peep talley bases
Sourdough style front blade on williams ramp Bore sighted at 25 yards with lazer boresighter
Removable muzzle break with knurled cap
I stole the Vx III 1.5-5 lighted reticle off my lightwieght 375 for it in talley lever detach rings.

Here are some pics....

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Good looking rifle.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm already scheming to put together a spring brown bear hunt with a couple buddies. Seems almost mandatory now. Now I just have to find a good load for it. I have been thinking the Speer 350gr Mag-tip at 2750fps would work fine for deer, carabou, or moose, and the 400gr Kodiak bonded, Woodliegh PP, or Barnes 350-450gr TSX are all candidates. I don't think anything in alaska really warrants the 500+gr bullets. **** even our only elephant has moved away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sweet rifle,you got a winner there. better wear hearing protection with that brake ,I bet it is mighty loud but better loud than dislocateing your sholder . my CZ 500 safari kicks so hard it cracked the factory stock ,I had to get a new one and bed ,and crossbolt it. now I get a nice big black and blue mark every time I shoot it . I'm getting a brake installed this year .

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I bought mine about 6 or 8 months ago and it's one sweet rifle. Mine is a CZ 550 Laminated American Safari 458 Lott. That rifle will shoot three bullets touching at 100 yds. 500 gr, and it doesn't kick bad, more like a shove.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Impressive. I really like the ability to switch sights on your rifle. Should I suddenly become very rich, I would then be a position to purchase/customize a similar rifle - probably in .375 - and travel the world to keep the big game in check. Very nice rifle! ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shot the lott today!!!

Shot the Lott tonight, it shot really good. Recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I expected either. It gave a healthy little shove but not near as bad as my 375 H&H. The first pic is a 5 shot group with the peep sight. Nothing to brag too hard about but not bad and definately minute of bear. The second pic is a three shot group with the scope, that one was pretty darn good, good enough Ididn't want to risk messing the group up shooting any more. The shooting was at 100 yards and the load was 350gr Speer with H322 just above the starting load in the new speer manual. Supposed to be about 2700fps but didn't have a chronograph.

After shooting it 12 times I noticed the trigger got wiggly and it wouldn't lock the firing pin back when the bolt was cycled. Took it back to Stan to check out. Turns out the adjustment nut on the trigger had loosened up. Put a drop of blue locktite on it after readjusting it.

Peep at 100 yards

Scope at 100 yards

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Good shooting.

I was thinking about a scope for mine... but decided I didn't want anything coming back at my face that hard! ;D

I do like the horizon sight on the my 550 American safari though, makes for good long range shooting.

I was looking at some H322 loads, H335 has been working pretty good for me though with lighter bullets (350 grain range)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Not bad at all for a peep sight. What is it about 1" Three shot group?

Using my peep sight I shot a three shot group that was a little over 1" Then I put a 1 3/4 X 5 scope on it. Tightened my group right up.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The peep shot group was the top one, looks to be about 5" verticle by 1.5" horizontal. 4/5 went into 3" veritcal by 1.5" horizontal. Thats not bad for me using peeps at 100 yards. The smaller group was at 5x with the scope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts