Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well even up here we are getting strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cukes and small onions. Quite a way to go for tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, green beans and squashes. Temps have been in the 80’s for over two weeks and looks like no change for another 10 days

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I am in Western NC and no blueberries or raspberries yet. Lots of cucumbers. All potatoes are out of my garden. Peppers just beginning and no tomato yet.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Here in NE Alabama, my blueberry season is winding down. We still got enough to pick iffen I were of a mind to go out and do so but they are past the midway point now. We had a heavy storm a few days ago. My bushes in the back yard were blue big time until then, now they are mostly green again. I'm sure several gallons hit the ground during that big storm.

It was such a storm, my pond was at least 18"-24" low and that storm refilled it. I depend on rain water runoff to keep it full. I'm guessing we got over 4" of rain in a couple hours time as that's about what it usually takes to refill the pond that way. High winds with it plus all that rain knocked the berries off.

I suppose I lost berries down in the orchard in front also but I wasn't paying much attention as a lot have been picked down there already by family and friends.

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you lose a lot of blueberries to the birds? We have to put netting over ours or the birds will eat them all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts