Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my new rig. I picked it up yesterday, had the scope ready and the DNZ mount arrived this morning. Mounted up this afternoon. It's great, the mount is perfect and very strong, I'd recommend these to anyone. Also a couple of pictures with some Camo on it, the cover on the barrel is a "Camo Sock" from Cabela's, and the cover on the Scope is also from Cabela's. The recoil pad is a Limbsaver. Details are as follows :-

* Tikka T3 - Stainless/Camo - .300WM
* Zeiss Diavari - 3-12x56 - 30mm tube
* DNZ - Game Reaper - High - Black

Just need to get some bullets loaded and find some time to get out and run the barrel in. I'll post some grouping photos when she's done.

A big thanks to everyone who replied to my post when I was researching the scope and mount, I really appreciate it.

Regards
Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Re: Pictures of the New Rig!

Craig,

That really is a nice set up. I am surprised the scope (at least appears) to be able to be mounted so low. Very nice. Will you need a cheek piece to get you up higher on the stock or is it a good fit? I really like my Zeiss Conquests and Kahles scope. But yours.....very nice.

Long

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Long,
Yeah I'm really happy with how low it ended up. It's got a massive Objective Bell and I was worried about how tight it would be but it worked out perfectly. When I bought the gun it was as yet unfired and already had a Nikko Stirling Diamond 3-12x52 mounted. I thought it was big but the Zeiss just dwarf's it. Imagine the Zeiss having a full Objective Bell's length on the Nikko.
I was also worried about the scope being too high when shouldering and keeping a good cheek weld, but it's spot on. Very impressive considering I'd call it an ambidextrous stock as it does not have a cheek comb and would be equally fine for R/H or L/H action. The 3 or 4 mates who have checked it out have all commented how well it comes to eye.
I've been caught out before with cheap scopes failing me and causing no end of grief trying to trouble shoot the rifle to find the reason for either stringing or just plain poor accuracy. Luckily I have a mate who has far more experience than me and who diagnosed the problem and loaned me a European Scope to check it with. I promised myself then and there to never be caught again. At least now I know I should be able to out see anything I need to shoot with the rifle.
Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's the plan Happy,
We just used the last of the venison out of the Freezer on Sunday to put down another batch of Sausages and Wurst so another trip is on the cards. Hopefully I'll be able to get it run in next weekend and maybe even some load development and then a trip bush before x-mas to knock over a couple of deer.
Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
670 Posts

cdbidsbear said:
Anweis,
The stock is Factory, it's the "Camo / Stainless" version.
Regards
Craig
Craig: In what country are you? Beretta USA does not list them...
Different continents have different offerings. In Europe they sell Tikka T3 in stainless with nice walnut stocks, which i would like to have, but...

NEVERMIND, I saw the fish and checked your profile. Hey, why do they sell those in Australia but not in USA???

·
Registered
659 Posts

cdbidsbear said:
That's the plan Happy,
We just used the last of the venison out of the Freezer on Sunday to put down another batch of Sausages and Wurst so another trip is on the cards. Hopefully I'll be able to get it run in next weekend and maybe even some load development and then a trip bush before Christmas to knock over a couple of deer.
Cheers
Craig
Well our Tikka spoke to two deer this year , but they do not rest long in our freezer . After Christmas there is never Venison in the freezer other than some saved for a special dinner for some one coming to visit .

I was not sure I would keep this 338 Federal chambering , but After seeing what this round does in the field _It's a keeper for sure .
Happy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

anweis said:
cdbidsbear said:
Anweis,
The stock is Factory, it's the "Camo / Stainless" version.
Regards
Craig
Craig: In what country are you? Beretta USA does not list them...
Different continents have different offerings. In Europe they sell Tikka T3 in stainless with nice walnut stocks, which i would like to have, but...

NEVERMIND, I saw the fish and checked your profile. Hey, why do they sell those in Australia but not in USA???
Anweis,
Well mate that's got to be the first time I've had access to something better that you guy's have in the USA ( generally it's me complaining about not being able to buy something, that's probably why I've spent so much with Cabela's lately )! Not sure why it's not offered over there? I purchased mine from a gun shop as a 2nd hand rifle, but it had never fired a shot. In saying that there are listed on several websites here in Oz for sale new.
I'd love to get over and visit your neck of the woods one day. I think it would be an amazing experience.
Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Harry said:
cdbidsbear said:
That's the plan Happy,
We just used the last of the venison out of the Freezer on Sunday to put down another batch of Sausages and Wurst so another trip is on the cards. Hopefully I'll be able to get it run in next weekend and maybe even some load development and then a trip bush before Christmas to knock over a couple of deer.
Cheers
Craig
Well our Tikka spoke to two deer this year , but they do not rest long in our freezer . After Christmas there is never Venison in the freezer other than some saved for a special dinner for some one coming to visit .

I was not sure I would keep this 338 Federal chambering , but After seeing what this round does in the field _It's a keeper for sure .
Happy
Happy,
Good to here you managed to deck a couple. My plans are a little further behind than I thought, I did get out last weekend to start running the barrel in, but it was so hot I only put 1/2 a dozen through it and came home. I'll get out again this weekend and finish the run-in process so that at least that's out of the way. I can't wait to start load development as this thing promises some great groups if I can do my part. A mate of mine made up some light loads for me to run-in with and after I fired the 2nd shot I thought I might have missed as I couldn't see 2 holes on the target ( using the "Splattering" type targets ). I ran some solvent through the barrel on a brush and left it to work while I walked to the target to check. Much to my surprise the 2 shots formed the coolest figure "8" I've ever seen! Very excited, although I managed to pull the next shot and open up the group. I fired the first 3 with a clean between each just to give me an idea of grouping before adjusting the scope, when I did adjust for the next 3 single's the group was about an inch. I'm really looking forward to getting a load worked out for deer as I've got a trip coming up early next year in New Zealand for Red Deer. I'm going to start with the Barnes Tipped TSX in a 168gr and see how that runs. Once it's good to go I'll see how it works on our local deer ;D I'll keep you posted.
Regards
Craig

ps Sorry I forgot to comment on your .338 remark. I'm not surprised it's so effective. A mate just returned from Alaska where he bagged a beautiful Moose. Before the trip he purchased a .375H&H and we worked up a load using the barnes 270gr TSX. During a trip he took a couple of deer for the freezer and the bullets performed perfectly. I was thinking about going to a .338 but decided that at this stage of my hunting career the .300wm would do everything I need it to. I'd really love to get over to your side of the pond one day and chase an Elk, there's just something about them that I love. Out of interest he recovered the bullet from his moose ( opposite shoulder under the hide ) and it looked exactly like the Barnes Catalogue shows them, perfectly opened petals and 100% weight retention. I love these things!

·
Registered
108 Posts

The camo Tikka's are very hard to come by. I found mine in 243 on gunbroker after looking for a very long time. I have been thinking about getting another one in 7mm mag. Nice looking rifle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well boy's, time for an update. I went out bush again yesterday and finished running in the barrel and I've got to say I'm fairly excited! ;D Actually that's a real understatement, I'm absofriginluteley stoked!

I finished firing 9 singles cleaning between each shot, followed by a group of 3 all using a light load (winchester case, 180gr Woodleigh Weldcore jacked projectile, Federal Magnum Primer and 72gr of Reloader22). I tried to fire it without looking at how the group was forming, then ran some solvent through the barrel to leave it soak while I went down to the target for a look. The 1st picture shows the group, which for a light, run-in load I couldn't be much happier with.

After cleaning the barrel I ran a fouling shot (same woodleigh with 75gr), followed by the 1st group of 3 with the barnes 168gr TTSX bullet I plan on using for hunting (77gr of reloader22). The 2nd picture shows the group. While I've been happy up to this point, I really expected to still have 2 or 3 weeks worth of fine tuning to settle on a hunting load, but after this I'll have to find something else to do to fill in time until I can get out to drop a couple of deer for the freezer. This is the best rifle I've ever had, and I still can't believe how good these things are straight out of the box.

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend with a mate and we'll see how it performs for real.

I don't know what more I can say, other than if your reading this board, and this Tikka section in particular trying to decide on a purchase, just do it, you'll thank yourself.

Cheers
Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Brit,
Yeah mate your probably right, we're never happy and of course I'll play around. I just can't believe the accuracy of these rifle's straight out of the box, especially for the price.
Cheers
Craig

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Craig,
Looks great! After seeing yours, I must admit to a bit of camo envy. Okay make that a lot of camo envy! I have a S.S. Tikka Lite in .30-06 and it's one fine shooter, even with it's a plain black stock. I used it to take my first elk last year. I had been using 180gr. Hornady SST bullets, but have switched to Barnes 168gr and getting a bit better accuracy. The most accurate by far that I've tried is the Hornady 220gr RN bullets. Three holes all touching at 100 yards. Your rifle has the same bore, so they might work well for you. Admittedly not the best choice for long range, but should out penetrate a .375 H+H on anything under 200 yards.
Good hunting with your new rifle. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.
Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Don,
It's funny you should say that, "anweis" on this forum has started a topic regarding that exact issue. It looks like the camo version is fairly rare over in the USA. Congrat's on your Elk, I'm actually going to New Zealand next year for a Red Deer Hunt, but I think my next hunt after that will be for an Elk. They're awesome animals and I've always loved the Antler Style, and they're so big in the body compared to the likes of our Red Deer. Out of interest have you actually shot anything with the 168gr barnes yet? Thanks for the headsup on the 220gr Hornady, I'll probably have a play with heavier projectiles down the track, at this stage I'm more interested in the lighter faster gear. Now that I've got something that can shoot to 300m accurately I want to take advantage of it.
Regards
Craig

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I haven't used either the Hornady 220gr. or the Barnes 168gr. TSX bullets on game yet, just testing in the loads at the range. I like to rotate the rifles in my gun safe. I used my Marlin 1895SDT 45/70 on a Buffalo hunt in January and another Tikka Lite in .270 on a Mouflon sheep hunt in February. In September I hunted Fallow deer, again using the 45/70. My next planned hunt will be for hogs early this coming year and I'm hoping to try the 220gr. bullets on that hunt. I have two other rifles that haven't been taken on a hunt yet and they are going to be a bit jealous.
I'm still hoping to get yet another Tikka in .223 for varmint hunting. I have to admit I was a little puzzled when I looked at Tikka's website and they listed two different twist rates for the .223. I know they sell a Varmint version and a Lite version, but they don't specify which twist rate for which rifle. I'd prefer a faster twist rate to use 69gr. bullets.
Don

1 - 20 of 30 Posts