Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have been beating my head against a wall trying to figure out what I want to turn my new frame into. I bought the frame from another member on this site and should have it sometime next week. I don't like cannons and do not like hard recoil. I want a do it all rifle. I want a deer rifle that I can shoot groundhogs with. I like flat shooting rounds for the long shots on groundhogs. I want a catch all rifle. :eek: I happen to think the 243 is perfect for my needs and have owned one before in a Handi and later in a Remington 700. The thing is the Handi 243's have issues as far as being accurate. My Remington 700 243 would shoot 3 shot groups you could cover with a quater at 300 yards. I could not even come close to that with my old Handi. So that caliber is out of the picture on this new build. I have looked at the 270 and I think it could do what I need to do with it as long as I can get it to shoot under MOA. So tell me how does your 270 shoot? What factory ammo are you using? What grain bullet? I am also thinking 25/06 or even maybe 7MM/08. I am open for sugestions. If you have a round that you think better fits my needs and shoots well in a Handi please speak up. Just so you know I have killed a couple groundhogs with my Remington 700 243 at 500 yards or so. That is the main reason this rifle needs to shoot better than MOA. Ok lets have it. Thanks Dale

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My 270 will put 3 Remington 130gn corelocts into the same hole at 100 yds if I do my part. It doesn't like the Winchester ammo I've tried, the Federal factory stuff works about like my handloads putting 3 just inside 1" at 100yds.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
handi243 said:
Yes I have also kicked that idea around and I think I will own a 280 some day but I feel it is a little over the top for what I want this build to be. Thanks Dale

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
From my experience Dale if you did not like the accuracy of your handi 243 you wont like the accuracy of the 270 either. I have both and only some bed work will help you. My 270 will put two tight and then sling one(100 yds). my sons 243 will stack em like ladder rungs for 3 or 4 inches(100 yds). now that will hunt deer but it aint what I call an accurate rifle. With some work they may become better I just haven't taken the time yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought my handi in 243 and should have never traded that barrel... 65gr v-max handloads and 100gr winchester pp ammo both shot 5/8" to 3/4". When I hear accuracy problems from others, I really regret trading it...

I currently own a 270 ultra comp barrel and get the same accuracy - all with handloads however (130/140gr). Kicks less than my 243 did with 100gr loads.

Now I know, you all will say, but it's loud. Yes it is. But, I NEVER pull the trigger without my ear plugs in... I put them it as soon game is spotted and have never missed an shot opportunity as a result (takes 3-5 seconds tops -send me a pm and I can explain how... ). So noise is a mute point. I use them for my non-ported guns too.

Anyway, you need to find the load that works for your gun.

Don't be afraid to try a 270, 25-06, or a 7mm-08. Half the fun is finding that gem of a load (or brand of ammo) that works for your particular rifle.
If I had to do it all over again, I would probably lean towards the 7mm-08. Lot's of great posts on this site.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Dale I just finished sighting my 270 in yesterday.Shot it about 30 times Saturday.Scope was bad all I did was chase the damn thing around the target.Switched out the scope and it took six shots to get it where i wanted.25 yd zero and then it printed 2right and 3 1/2 high at 100yds.A few clicks left and kept it at 3 1/2 high.Fired five more and they were within a inch.Used Remmy 130gr.coreloks.Didd'nt care for the 150's though.This should give me a MPBR of 25-300yds.Going to see at the longer ranges today.Another buddy has a 500yd set up.Got to go out to Dick's and buy a couple more boxes of ammo today.I like my 270 and have killed 25-30 deer with my old 760 Remmy.Just got the Handi pieced together this summer.It'll do just fine on these little Kansas whitetails.Slow

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Dale with you shooting them ground pigs the 270 is very flat shooter but it packs a punch. The 25/06 would be a good choice as you should be able to find a good shooting load for the 26"bbl .But do not look past the 30/06 as there is a ton of information and loads for it from gophers to Elephants I know it's boring but when you start shooting chucks at 400yrds with a 110gr 30cal bullet and can launch a 5# groundhog 6 feet into the air the boring part soon passes. Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I own a 270 and with Federal Power shoks (blue box) it shoots 1" at 100 yards.

I've shot it very little at the range (didn't have to) and never any hand loads, but like I said I didn't have to because it shot so good from the start, and once sighted in, I put it away.

I've taken two deer so far last year, and I have yet to take it out hunting this year, but I know it will do the job because I shot three rounds this year off my tailgate, at a cardboard box with a stickum target, and hit 1 1/2" high, 1" group at 100 yards so I'm good to go.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Among all the barrels I have swapped and have owned, I have owned more 243 and 270 then any. However, all of the ones I have had... that fitted and locked up tight... have been excellent shooters. I have probably owned 5 243 (mostly standard contour) barrels and 5 270.. all of them liked Federal Blue Box Power Shok and Fusions.
A 280 is a great choice as is the 25-06.
Take your pick Dale, as long as it fit's ups good to your frame, locks up tight, and the barrel hasn't been abused... you have a very good chance of a shooter with any of these cals..

-Aaron

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it looks like fait has stepped in here. I just bought a 7MM/08 here in the classifides. I am a huge fan of the 308 family anyways. This is going to be my build. ;D Dale

1 - 12 of 12 Posts