Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went up the mountain for opening modern gun deer .. Took the 444S Marlin , 44mag Handi and the nephews 243 ultra lite youth. Well My spouse was able to hunt the evening hunt of the first day , and the Father-in-law was thinking about getting a 243 and i told him he could try the youth ( i had placed the full length synthetic from my 44 mag on it) ...

Anyway so here is where it got interesting , I like most shoot in from the bench with the bags under the hinge ... But decided i would check accuracy from both weapons with the pressure out a little further because despite which ever one of the Handis Jess decided to hunt with , she would most likely forget to rest her grip close to the hinge.

Well i found the 243 was off the mark from the hinge with the new full length stock ( no biggie ) and wasnt quite grouping like normal with the same sight in factory loads.
But i found with both the 243 and 44 as i inched the bags further forward down the forearm the impacts placed higher and higher ... With one of the 44 mag loads i rolled up it went from 1" high at 80 yards to ( guessing ) 5-6 1/2" high, the 243 wasnt that bad it only placed about 4" high with the bags all the way down the forearm ... But it was interesting to say the least to watch as the bags moved forward the rounds placed higher and higher up the target. Thought i would share this finding with everyone.

Also I was thinking that if you could find consistencey with this little well whatever you would call this happening , you could in stead of using Kentucky windage and guessing from the scope just mark on your forearm your findings as where to hold to adjust your point of impact ;) I know if only that were just that simple heh , But a interesting idea that i will play with.

Has anyone esle noticed this going on with their handi ?

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and as of yet the 44mag is yet to be bloodied ... The gun boot and the 44 mag didnt get along well , the scope base wiggled loose and made me go back to the 444 ...

Even then though the deer just werent working with us that weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts