Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a load that my USED 357 maximum likes , It lists in the books well below max and the primers look fine , about 1/2 the cases stick and come out of the chamber scratched . I was thinking of backing the load off 1 grain polishing the chamber and working back up . Sound reesonable ?Whats the easyest way to polish the chamber ? Any other Ideas ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Polish the chamber

Use a dremel tool if you must polish the chamber. I think we need to remember the chamber does help control backthrust so only cleanup the area marring the shell

thomas

·
Registered
322 Posts
Chamber Polishing

One of the best ways I've found to polish a chamber (or scratchy dies for that matter) is a well-used piece of scotchbrite on an apropriate size of plastic brush. I stress well-used, because the new stuff is pretty aggressive. You really don't want to remove any metal, just smooth things up. I'll chuck up a brush in my cordless drill, and run it in & out a few times. You want a pretty snug fit, and make sure it goes up into the neck just a bit. Run in reverse so you don't unscrew the brush core from the aluminum ferrule. I use this on dies & chambers whenever I feel the need, and hasn't seem to do any harm yet..............Bug.

·
Administrator
26,076 Posts
If half of your cases are sticking now the chances are VERY HIGH that you are already exceeding safe and sane pressure limits for the TC Contender. Polishing the chamber may help to lessen the damage you mention to cases but will also reduce the "grab" the chamber has for cases and thus increase back thrust which likely is already in excess of what is indicated for long frame life.

So do reduce the load but do not work back up.

It is NOT fun to have a Contender explode in your hands. Yes this is the VOICE OF EXPERIENCE speaking. DO NOT assume they are unbreakable. They ain't.

GB

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I'm with Graybeard on this one, I recommend that a quick review of the following link before polishing any chambers.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/max_pressures.htm

Chamber finish is a key element in how your contender handles (or doesn't handle) pressure. I have an old book by Bellm and Hulme that goes deep into the issue and I'm with not polishing as a big part of how the contender can handle pressure is by spreading it out over the steel of the chamber and back thrust against the frame.

Graycg opines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts