Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a newbie as i just started shooting my handi .243 on saturday. i see alot of yall talking about polishing the bore before using the rifle. is this necessary for a good shhoting gun? as i did not do this before shooting 29 rounds through it. the rifle groups 100 grain monarch ammo into a 1/2" at 50 yards. but the remington 85 grains were all over the paper as were the 95 grain federal fusions.. is it to late to polish it or can it still be done with reasonable results? also when yall say float the barrel what exactly does that mean? thanks for the help. i love this little rifle and have 2 more on order already! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
In general I polish before shooting the first round. It is my way of breaking in the barrel. There are others that have their own special way of breaking in a barrel and still others that just shoot it (no break in). It is never too late to polish a barrel. If you do decide to polish, just make sure all of the powder and copper fouling is gone, other wise, you will be polishing the copper residue and when it is removed, you will still have a rough barrel. Since you have already shot it, I would only polish it if you experience excessive copper fouling or you notice accuracy dropping off quickly. Some times it helps accuracy, but I think it is due to copper fouling quickly and dropping off the accuracy due to that , not a rough barrel. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
In a Handi when you float a barrel, you remove material away from barrel channel so that you only have contact between the frame, fore end and where the barrel lug/screw are. Every where else will not touch. Shoot the gun with the fore end off to see if floating will help. Look at the FAQ to find out more about getting more accuracy out of your Handi. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im guessing it is shhoting the fusions and remingtons erratically because it aint broke in yet. i am going to thouroghly clean it before shhoting again and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
PartsMan said:
I would think real hard before changing a .5" rifle!

These things can be very picky about loads.
Partsman It is really a 1'' rifle. He shot those groups at 50 yards. I have used Flitz on all my barrels and have good results. I would recomend it. Dale

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Keep track of your groups after you clean it . It may shoot better dirty. &stay with the monarch 100grn

·
Registered
47 Posts
has any one tried to polish the barrel with Scotch brite pad or do you think it would be to rough? (I use it at work to polish UHMW extrusion dies)

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Use the one of methods in the FAQs and you'll be happy. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
DALESCARPENTRY said:
PartsMan said:
I would think real hard before changing a .5" rifle!

These things can be very picky about loads.
Partsman It is really a 1'' rifle. He shot those groups at 50 yards. I have used Flitz on all my barrels and have good results. I would recomend it. Dale
Ah Ha my bad, I could see tinkering a little with a 1" rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts