Graybeard Outdoors banner

How many pounds of powder do you keep on hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious after the story about the 82 year old man busted with 100,000 rounds of ammunition and 500 lbs of powder.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Poll: How many pounds of powder do you kee

I currently have 6 pounds of black powder, 2 pounds of triple7, and about 25 pounds of different rifle and handgun powder. I shoot a lot :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,992 Posts

Well I would have more if I could afford it but I usually have a couple of pounds of Triple 7 and several for my centerfires. I pretty much stick with 3031 and 2400. Jim

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

I consider myself a minimally enthusiastic reloader, but shoot a few different pistols, rifles and .20 gauge shotgun. This gives me about 7 or 8 different kinds of powders regularly, many of which are best bought 4 pounds at a time. I'll sometimes buy another powder to see how it does. It adds up! How much do I actually keep? I figure about 37,500 pounds. Maybe a bit more. :wink:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Now days I only shoot cast bullets and use 2400 and Unique in everything. I also shoot muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers so have black powder substitutes. I went to see how much I had to answer the poll and was actually surprised to find, including some cans of rifle powder that I seldom use, I have about 15lbs of powder.

·
Super Moderator
51,046 Posts

I'm new to reloading but figure I have a good start with 13lbs of 12 different smokeless powders, plus the 11lbs of Goex, Elephant and T7 that I already had..... :grin:

Tim

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
victorcharlie said:
Curious after the story about the 82 year old man busted with 100,000 rounds of ammunition and 500 lbs of powder.
What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Leftoverdj said:
What's wrong with that?
50 pounds is the legal limit for personal storage in most areas, and the old guy was a convicted felon, according the the story. That's two reasons that the cops got a search warrant. They also took his firearms.

Most of my reloading manuals and powder company free pamphlets have the recommended storage regulations that almost all the states follow. Your manuals should have the same information.

·
3,197 Posts

Lloyd, if I see a small mushroom shaped cloud from over in the Munising area I will know whose place it came from :lol: :lol:

Long

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What's wrong with that?

I'm not trying to argue if it's right or wrong........might be obsessive.........I understand that there are 200+ powders available..................but I also see the need to protect the neighbors.........

·
Registered
4,551 Posts

Depends on who' s asking------- :shock:
Savage

·
Registered
533 Posts

Hmmm well I took 2,000 rounds to the pdog shoot in oklahoma.

Powder on hand A LOT.

I've never seen anything about a limit on how much powder I can have, or number of rounds I can have.

Warf

·
Registered
160 Posts

I think I have about 80lbs on hand and my roommate probably has another 40lbs or so. Well maybe he has 39, I sneak a little for test loads once in a while. I keep him informed on what I use. I wonder how much of my powder he uses?

I'll just have to buy more just in case he has been using some.

All stored in a fire marshall approved powder magazine, of course.
Joe

·
Registered
183 Posts

My amount of powder (as well as ammo AND guns) is NOBODY or NO ADMINISTRATIONS stinkin' bizzness.

I see the 2nd Amendment as an ABSOLUTE INDIVIDUAL RIGHT and any person or agency that attempts to regulate it in ANY way is violating individual constitutional rights.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I buy my high volume use powders (shotshell reloading) in 5 & 8lb containers. eg. Unique, Promo & IMR700x
Rifle & handgun powders usually in 1lb cans, also blackpowder in 1lb cans.
The only time I think I have too much powder on hand is when I hear of houses burning down. It would be tough explaining my powder inventory to an insurance adjuster. :oops:

Rod. :wink:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

I have about 30 containers of gun powder and a couple black powder. Thats all I do is shoot and hunt. What a life!!!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts