Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a pig hunt at Superior Game Ranch. Chased them through the cedars and had them bust me 3 or so times. I tried to sort out the boar,with my binoculars and scope; and I thought I had....until I looked at the one I shot. Oh well, good eating anyway. One shot from the 45/70 with a hard cast 460 gr bullet made it into a bang-flop-squeal, from about 30 yards.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That is a great picture of you and your hog. Very cool. 8)

How much did she weigh?

I've always wanted to go and hunt hogs, someday maybe...

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
JeffG,
Nice photo and nice hog!!
The old 45-70 will do the job,pronto!!

·
Super Moderator
11,310 Posts
You do know that is the equivalent of four (4) hunts. ;) You stalk 'em. They bust you. You hunt 'em again - they bust you. And so it goes. Dang good stuff.

If it was easy, anybody could do it. Makes for a good day of hunting and a lot of better braggin' that way. Dropping with your favorite 45-70 in a one shot kill makes you feel confident like nothing else.

Nothing wrong with shooting the sow. Nobody on this board is boar-happy. Shoot the little "footballs" too. After all, they are culinarily known as Suckling pig. They all taste like pork.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great job! sounds like you had a lot of fun too...

Ive still got another month or so until we hit the woods in search of a pig (got a hunt planned with my wife, son, and father in law.. )..

Post like this make me look forward to it that much more..

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ranch guide said she was about 300. I got back 180 lbs in meat including sausage, so I am thinking less. It was a lot of fun, getting busted extends the experience. I would have been sharper if I would have time to hone my skills on squirrels this year...

·
Registered
991 Posts
So tell us about the hunt...What is the story?

·
Super Moderator
11,310 Posts
JeffG said:
The ranch guide said she was about 300. I got back 180 lbs in meat including sausage, so I am thinking less.
And I would agree. She isn't 300#'s in that photo and the Processor might have added some beef fat into the sausage. 180#'s of frozen meat is a lot if you subscribe to 1/3 live weight as hide and guts leaving something less than 200#'s of meat including bones; subtract 1/5 of "something less than 200#'s" as bone leaves something less than 160#'s of meat.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We can hunt them year round here in Ar. we hate then here they do more damage than a teen ager with his 1st 4x4. But good eating except the boars. Jim

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Land_Owner said:
JeffG said:
The ranch guide said she was about 300. I got back 180 lbs in meat including sausage, so I am thinking less.
And I would agree. She isn't 300#'s in that photo and the Processor might have added some beef fat into the sausage. 180#'s of frozen meat is a lot if you subscribe to 1/3 live weight as hide and guts leaving something less than 200#'s of meat including bones; subtract 1/5 of "something less than 200#'s" as bone leaves something less than 160#'s of meat.
yea im thinking yu got plenty of meat from a 300 lb hog.aint a cow figured about 60% and a hog 50% of live weight?id rather eat a sow anyday also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.