Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that this is the ultimate solution to the problem, however today I solved a horizontal string problem with my Axis 17-204 here in Arizona. I had loaded a batch of ammo a little too hot and was having sticking bolt issues with the rounds. I had to bang on the bolt handle a little to get them to eject. The gun was shooting extremely well vertically, but horizontal stringing was about an inch and a half with the vertical at about 1/4 inch. After working with it a little I put it on the bags and carefully looked through the scope, this is a cheap package rifle scope, 4-12 from a Remington, I am thinking it is made by Bushnell by the looks of it. The focus is at the rear of the eye bell by screwing the lens in and out like many of the less expensive (and some not so inexpensive) scopes focus. by barely touching the focusing part of the scope from side to side I could shift the cross hairs a good two or three inches at 100 yards. It appears that when I was knocking on the bolt handle it was slightly shifting the eye piece from side to side slightly which was causing my POI shift. My solution as to get an "O" ring about 1 1/8 ID and 1/8 inch thick, to make focus, the adjustment left a gap of about 1/8 inch, so it worked out perfect. I just unscrewed the focus a little more and rolled the O ring over the eyebell and into the gap, then screwed the focus down snug to the O ring. Now it is secure and does not shift the POI when touched. It also now shoots a nice 1/4 inch 3 shot group with the horizontal stringing gone. I am now kind of thinking that some of the problems with the H&R's vertical stringing may be related to the closing of the breach and the shift of the lens vertically like mine was shifting horizontally. Sorry for the long post, but this sure fixed my problem up. Someone try this on their rifle, Ace Hardware has lots of cheap O rings in different thicknesses to try. Larry

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Sounds very reasonable, I will check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Larry, thanks for the tip, a good one for all of us to know. This is another tool for us Handiholics to keep in our tool box of Handi knowledge. Thanks again and take care, John. ;D

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Sounds like parallax to me. That causes many issues people dont ever realize... cheap scopes = more parallax.

CW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts