Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help ID this .... Looks like it may be an Armstrong..... was located at a Navy yard in the Philippines

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I have no doubt the gun was something in Spain's inventory just before 1898, but Spain had so many different types of artillery the exact nature of the piece may be hard to prove. The thing somewhat resembles an Armstrong but Spain was making built-up guns at Ordonez works in addition to buying guns from Armstrong.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
That's a pretty good one, KABAR2. Allen, I think you may have stumped the Seacoast Artillery boys with this challenge! We pulled our our entire collection of images out to match one to the postcard image you posted, but could not nail it down. It looks more like the various images of Armstrongs that we have collected, but usually fails the number of hoops present criteria. It's not "humpy" enough, [based on size difference between "humps",(hoops) to be a Woolwich Gun], although the no. of humps is correct, (3). We have several different Ordonez Guns in the seacoast image collection, but all have a smoother transition from breech to chase than the posctard gun, including the famous Ordonez, "Blown Up Gun" at the Presidio in San Fransisco, CA which coincidently is from the Philippines.

Tracy

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duncaninfrance said:
By the looks of all the ball stacked around they were obviously expecting a long war ::)
I have a feeling this was a collection point for captured war material and it's a great P.R. photo for back home "look at all the stuff we captured!" 8) I think I will see if any Spanish seacoast forts are out there on the web maybe I'll get lucky and find something....

·
Premium Member
9,997 Posts
The elevation mechanism is interesting. I've got a book about the Philipines during the Spanish American war and I'll look at it and see if there is anything similar in it. It's just a small book with pics of various militias and some mortars and other guns. Lots of pics of daily scenes during that time frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.