Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have most everything together to start reloading handgun rounds. I have been researching powders and would like some recommendations. I plan to reload 38 sp, 148 wadcutters and 158 semi wadcutters. Also, light plinking loads for my 44 mag, probably 240 semi wads. I would like to find one powder to do all, at least to start, if possible. Any help? I eventually will reload for my 357.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Unique would fit the range of uses very nicely, but there are cleaner and easier-to-measure powders. W231 and AA #2 have worked for me in similar loads, and Hodgdon Clays and Universal look attractive. There are lots of others, but you'll want a relatively fast burning propellant.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Lately I've been using a lot of Titegroup in stuff like that. As the other poster said, there are numerous powders that will work fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't load for the .44, but for .38Spcl & .357Mag, I've found good results with 231, AA#5, Hodgdon Universal. Also Red Dot works well in .38 snubbies and Win 296 is a great choice for .357 & .44 Loads.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use titegroup in 38/357 plinking loads. Unique would be a good one though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've only loaded for the .357, but Unique works well for "generic" JSP loads, but not for cast bullets in either of my revolvers. I use 2400 for cast with very good results, and have some H110 I'm anxious to try with 185gr Beartooth GC bullets. Not exactly "plinker" loads, but should be fun anyway! For whatever reason, neither my 686 nor SP-101 like really slow loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts