Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a kind of trivia question;

Does anybody know what some common items weigh? A new dime, or penny? A paper clip? (I think my NRA member card weighs around 55 gr.) I just bought a used Powder Scale, a Lyman, and would like to check it out, but I don't want to spend $20 or more on check weights. I weighed a couple 240 gr lead bullets (as per the box they came in) and came up with 242 and 243 gr. but I know lead weight varies with the alloy. Not to worry about too heavy reloads as I rarely get near maximum on the powder charges.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
mdi,
I am not sure how this will help as I don't know what the consistency among coins would be but on my RCBS 304 scales a 2007 penny weighs 38.5 grains and a 2006 dime weighs 35.0 grains.
I know my scales are accurate as I have a set of Lyman weights that I use to check the 304 scale for accuracy, and it is good...BCB

·
Registered
291 Posts
As far as coins go, the only time you would have consistency would be with new coins. Any time in circulation would create wear on them, removing weight. Check weights aren't expensive at all. Can get them at dicks for 5 bucks. And no you can not use bullets for check weights as they do vary between 1 and 3 grains from most makers. Only the high end match grade (usually hand made not production) bullets will be consistent enough for this purpose. He is trying to check his grain scale for powder measuring so yes 1 to 3 grains could not only be bad but also DANGEROUS. 3 grains to much powder on a max load and you could have a serious problem.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
HT

Your idea will work , but first you have to know what the bullets weights and you need to have the scale set up to do that . ???

mdi

Just bite the bullet and spend the $$s and get a check weight set , better safe than sorry .

stimpy

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

I would think NEW coins are uniform in weight, but yes, circulated coins will wear and reduce the weight. I've tried bullets, but they vary in weight according to the alloy.

One of the reasons I ask these kind of questions is where I live; Lost Angeles, Mexifornia. It is difficult to get gun supplies like powder, bullets, reloading equip., etc. Almost all my purchases are made via the web. I looked for powder for about three weeks and found only 3 places to purchase it (I refuse to pay "Hazmat" and extra "Handling" fees to buy powder on line). Two with a very limited selection (took me a couple months to find some Unique) and one 1 1/2 hrs. drive away. I haven't seen any reloading equipment at the places I've found, and the chain "sporting goods" stores mostly sell shoes. So, instead of waiting for a web order to ship I look for acceptable replacements; coins for check weights, and hobby rock tumblers and Lizard Bedding for cleaning my brass. It's kinda fun too.

BTW, there hasn't been a Gun Show in L.A. County in many years.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If your going to check out a scale buy yourself some scale check weights to check it out, this is not the time to try and save money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts