Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 145,000 I'm putting in my 4th cam sensor in my 1997 F250. Anybody else gone thru this many? The first 3 were covered under warranty and the mechanic said that cam sensors going out on the Powerstroke is a very common problem.

Now that the warranty is expired, I'm not too excited about putting yet another cam sensor in. Anybody else run into a cam sensor problem about every 35,000 miles? The truck didn't even have 200 miles on it when the first one shot craps.

·
Registered
318 Posts
is it physical damage or electrical? I remember we had to in spect the depth of the mounting hole to cam gear. also check to see if the exciter ring on the camshaft is straight. if it's electrical it's normaly the plug. good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've all been electrical. 3 out of the 4 (including this one in it now) the truck dies when you slow the truck down to a stop. It will restart and go again but makes things pretty interesting when you have a load of horses on and you're slowing down then all of a sudden it dies and you're without power steering and brakes.

The first one, when the truck had only 185 miles on it, the truck just up and quit when I was going about 40 mph. After I got it pulled over, it wouldn't restart at all. Had to have it towed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts