Graybeard Outdoors banner

Primative Archery and Small Game

793 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gpa&hisguns 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Have had a interest in self bows and other primative bows (heck even PVC bows) for some time. Rarely time to indulge it though.

Was wondering how effective primative archery is for small game?

Clearly there's enough power on tap, but I wonder about accuracy?

Hitting the breadbasket of a deer is one thing... a bunny or squirrel another.

Any tips on how to get accurate enough for that sort of thing?

Is it commonly done, or is it as I suspect... somewhat difficult to develop sufficient skill?

#2 ·
Practice, practice, practice.

Start with a simple PVC bow, or even a sling bow. (Slingshot setup to shoot arrows)

But you really do not need arrows for small game. Slingshots will do very well with small ball bearings, 1/4" or 5/16ths inch.

If you really want effective try slinging some 45 caliber lead balls. Now they pack a thump.

IMO it is easier to build a good catch box to catch, slow and save your ammo than a good arrow target.
Because of the low noise level you can practice in your basement, garage, back yard.

Once you can start hitting a coke can at a reasonable distance a majority of the time you will be ready to try critters.
Please just remember standard hunting rules apply, license, hours, bag limits.

#3 ·
Good post Ghosth! When I was a kid I wore out several slingshots and got good enough to hunt cottontail rabbits at short range. I put that slingshot away when I got old enough to shoot guns and only recently did I get it back out. The rubbers were shot and it didn't fit my big hand so I ordered a new one off the internet. I was surprised that I still had some degree of ability left in me from my youthful days shooting a slingshot. I am not as good as I was as a kid but as you say practice practice practice. I retire in a week and I am saving my Coke cans......I also have a coffee can full of 32 caliber muzzleloader balls for ammo.

If you get good with instinctive shooting that comes from mastering a slingshot then shooting a long bow or recurve will be easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.