Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you who are seasoned reloaders ;D. I have a H&R 35 Whelen that I purchased used from a local shop. $150.00 for the gun with a scope was a deal too good to pass up. On the rifle thread there are a lot of guys who have had problems with mis-fiers. I decided to purchase some brasss, Remington bullets and load some with IMR 4064. I loaded 20 rounds to start and took it to the range and got the scope diled in. All of these were loaded with Winchester primers.

The next batch I loaded up with the same bullet, a half of grain more powder, (trying to find the best load). The only change is that this time I had CCI primers. About 1/3 of them did not go off when the hammer fell the first time. Some would go off if I dropped the hammer a second time and some would not go off at all. I cheded the length with the caliper and all are the same. Could there be a difference in the hardness of the primers? This is the only variable that I can think of. If I decide to dump the loads and start over with Winchester primers do I just fire the empty casings so I can press out the CCI primers? Never did this before and I'm not sure of the procedure. Brass is once fired Remington brass. Thanks for the assist. :)

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I have deprimed many cases and have always just run the unfired primers thru the die. If all you want to do is deprime, set the die a little high and extend the depriming pin a bit so you don't resize the case. If you run it all of the way into the resizing die without lubricant you will get a case stuck. The bullets may be a bit loose without neck sizing, but in a single shot this won't be a problem by itself.

Always wear safety glasses when working with primers. I had one or 2 go off a long time ago while seating primers (don't remember why). Besides being a hazard to the eyes, it is very loud!

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Weatherman

I have had the same thing happen with CCI primers in guns that have a light hammer fall , while Win. primers work just fine in those guns .

Over the years i have found that Winchester primers are the easiest to fire , as for pulling the rounds , if you have a kenitic or a collet puller just pull the bullets and put a little lube on the case and run them back through the sizing die as you would with fired brass .

And as woodchukhntr said ALWAYS wear safety glasses .[/color]

stimpy

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I have a decapping die that is in a dedicated press (a cheap Lee, about $20). I also use this press to pull bullets with. I have pressed out live primers before. I just use a smooth and slow touch on the handle. As you have been warned Wear eye protection[/color] when working with live primers either seating or pushing out live ones.

BTW when you have a die that is made to push out primers (live or spent) you can use it for all of your cases. I use it on 44 Magnums as well as 22 Hornet and every thing in between. It will accommodate a larger range than that. The real nice thing is I do not have to worry about lubing cases or readjusting dies to push out a live primers. I deprime and then run the case over my RCBS Trim Mate to clean the primer pockets and deburr case mouths if needed. I am ready to neck or full length size then. I have a Lee decapping die that cost some where around $11 or so.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Tim - that is the one I use. I also use it for every thing. You can say so much with so few words. ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the advise. Been on the road traveling and just had the chance to read some of the replies. I will pull the bullets and start from scratch. Once I get some new primers I'll try it again. Hopefully the problem is as easy to solve as that.

;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts