Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 h&r rifles. One in 243 and 357 mag. I attached a pic of problem. The finish is coming off on the inside of the receiver to the left of the firing pin. The 243 is not doing this. I've had both rifles for 2 years. Do you guys see same wear on your h&r rifles? It does not feel like it is rubbing and the rifle locks up good and fires well. any info..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Welcome to GBO. Is the receiver parkerized, like the 300 BLK barrels and receivers are? It may just be a normal wear pattern in the finish.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
Welcome! ;) The black matte finish is black oxide according to Brian at H&R, most likely the inside of the frame wasn't properly prepared before they did the finishing, so the oxide didn't stick.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned unless the metal itself has degraded, I have lots of frames with bare metal on the inside surfaces where the barrel and/or ejector has worn the finish off, just use a good oil sparingly(no oil on the locking surfaces, see Handi Basics sticky above) on it and it will be fine. Paste wax is also a good protectant from the reports of all that use it here.

Tim

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
a yellow can of johnson's paste wax and
a bottle of eezox should stave off any
rust or corrosion you may encounter

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Yeah, nice buck! I'm sure glad you have a found a use for those ACU uniforms. I have disliked them since they were introduced, and I was forced to wear them, in 2005. ::)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Dinny said:
Yeah, nice buck! I'm sure glad you have a found a use for those ACU uniforms. I have disliked them since they were introduced, and I was forced to wear them, in 2005. ::)

Thanks, Dinny
:D ^ ^ :D
i'm partial to the old woodland and chocolate chip cookie, that being said by a civilian.
they dont blur as bad when faded as much as acu

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a veteran and figured why buy new expensive camo. camo is camo. it works for me to break up my outline. I also have the old camo from back in 2000. the traditional green brown and black. all works good.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
FWIW: Was just told by a nephew who is currently in the army, that they are phasing out the ACU camo patterns, it's considered an experiment that didn't work out. The army is going back to the green, brown, and black camo pattern.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice buck!

I'm planning to finish sighting in my .357 this week. I need to pick up some more ammo. I was planning on using Hornady LeverEvolution but it looks like you found some good medcine. I may keep an eye open for some of that Vortx. What bullet are you shooting?

And I got nothing on the wear issue...

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
lazi said:
I was planning on using Hornady LeverEvolution but it looks like you found some good medicine.
The 140gr LE ammo wasn't accurate in my 357Mag Handi, 12"+ groups at 100yds, average velocity 1811fps, the Hornady manual lists 850-1600fps muzzle velocity for the bullet, so it's likely a bit too fragile at rifle velocities.

Tim

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I agree that 140 FTX bullet is NOT a good choice at carbine velocities!!! On big game, nice on vermin!! ;)
CW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use the Barnes Vor-tx 140 grain all copper bullet. I did a water jug test before using for hunting from 20 yards. The bullet penetrated 5 jugs and expanded nice without falling apart. Sportsmansguide.com has it. It travels at 1800 fps in my 22 inch barrel. 1008 lbs of energy at muzzle. It shoots pretty flat out to 100 yards then drop 3 inches at 125 yards and 6 inches at 150 yards. I would not recommend shooting over 125 yards , but shot placement is everything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts