Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, went to the range this weekend. Shot the 270WSM with some 130 TSX. It's the fist time I really shot it with this particular round. I have to say I'm not impressed. For some reason the gun wouldn't shoot better than about a 3" group at 100 yards.

I know last year when I first got the rifle I shot it with some ballistic silvertips and it was shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards...

Has anyone had accuracy problems with the TSX??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I spent a lot of time trying to get 140g TSX and MRX bullets to shoot in my 7mm Rem Mag. Various powders, various charge weights, nothing worked.

In the end I gave up and went with 140g North Fork bullets. These have external grooves like the TSX/MRX (only smaller and more of them) but otherwise are builit like a Speer Trophy bonded with a solid shank and a bonded front core. The North Forks shot well with every powder charge I tried, although IMR7828SSC was the only powder I used.

The TSX have worked very well in my .257 Roberts (115g) and the .308 win (165g).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If the rifle doesnt like that round dont use it, I also have a 270 short mag. and use the win. balistic silvertips in it and it likes them, its not unusual for a rifle to just not like a particular load. JIM

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Last week at the range I shot my best ever group with my Sako 7mm mag and 160gr TSX bullets. Near as I could measure the group was .288 inches @ 100 yards. Ive found the accuracy with TSX bullets very acceptable in several of my rifles.

Silvertp

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
I've tried a variety of Barnes bullets in many calibers in many guns and have yet to find a load for any of them with any type bullet accurate enough to take hunting to try them. I'm not 100% sure I trust them to open but many folks seem sure they will and no one disagrees they penetrate like mad. I love exits so I'd really like to find a way to make them work but danged if I've found the formula to do so yet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Barnes bullets are copper and therefore longer than lead bullets. Thus, a lot of rifles can't seem to shoot them accurately. Perhaps other weights and other powders might get them to work in a particular rifle. In the Republik of Kalifornia they just banned lead bullets in the California Condor range. I'll be faced with the problem very shortly. If anyone has good Barnes loads in various calibers, please post them. It may save me some time in load development with your information.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I spoke with the guys at Barnes today.

Don't get me wrong, I shot TSX's in my 264 Win Mag and absolutley love the terminal performance, and they shot quite well (about as good as any other round), but they just didn't seem to want to shoot the other day at the range.

The guys at Barnes asked me if I had shot any other kinds of bullets through the rifle and I told them that I had shot some of the Winchester ballistic silvertips. They said it's possible that it could be fouling in the barrel that's causing the TSX to be inaccurate. For some reason they said the TSX is very particualr about fouling inside the barrel...I would like to think though that it would take more than 1 1/2 boxes of ballistic silvertips to foul up the barrel enough that it wouldn't shoot the TSX's.

Anyhow, I came home and cleaned the barrel out super good and I'll bring it to the range this weekend. If it doesn't shoot the TSX's well again I'll probably just go to another round.

P.S. I shot the Winchester and Federal Premium TSX's and the Federal seems to be noticably stouter. You can definately feel more punch when shooting the Fed's compared to the Winchesters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The TSX is very picky about copper fouling in the barrel. I have found that using the "foaming" cleaners work great to get it all out. It was stated earlier that since they are copper bullets they are longer then others,this is ture. Not all barrels will stabilize the longer bullets of a certain weight, so you have to try a few to see which one your rifle likes best. Also, you need to pay attention to the "off the lands distance". Most of the TSX'x like to be seated .050" away. I usually end up somewhere between .030" to .070" depending on caliber.

I have been using the TSX's for a few years now and will never user any other bullet again. I just shot my Goat with my .308 shooting the 150gr MRX.Very devastating wound channel. Every rifle that I have loaded them for just loved them after I got all the bugs worked out.

Bottom line is they are finicky,but all the hard work will defintely pay off once you find the load it likes the best.Here is a link to their reloading info that has some FAQ's and other loading info:http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/tsx-guidelines/

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
tjkanavel:

Thanks for sharing that information. I'm switching to the TSX's myself and this is the kind of info that will help me succeed with them faster. I'll let everybody know how things go for me with our .308 and .375

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I would like to think though that it would take more than 1 1/2 boxes of ballistic silvertips to foul up the barrel enough that it wouldn't shoot the TSX's.
It's just not the TSX bullets that will give poor accuracy after shooting the Winchester SBT's...most are this way...and it is the Lubalux coating that is causing this...I shoot the Combined Tech bullets a-lot...and if you mix them with any other...can and does give you fits...The very last thing you want to do...it to shoot any of the Blue moly coated Barnes with the black Lubalux coated Winchesters...it will take you hours to clean it all out of your bore...Been there...Won't make that mistake again...Barnes recommends using it's CR-10 cleaner prior to using their bullets...and it is a very good idea to start with a perfectly cleaned bore...this way you will know if the gun really likes them or not...I suggest a foaming bore cleaner with a nylon brush...I remove all of the Lubalux in 4 or 5 steps...with it...Usually brushing good on the first 3...then patching on the last 2...putting the foam in each time...Then flush with Rem-oil lightly and patch dry...Then I will use the Barnes CR-10 as directed...

As a side note...You shouldn't mix any coated bullet with non coated ones...it won't shoot good...and will foul quicker...and the Winchester CT bullets usually have a real good coating down in as little as 5-7 shots thru a clean bore...depending on how rough it is...

Mac

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience with the tsx bullet mirrors Graybeards I've personally tried them in .220 swift, 260rem, 300wsm,223, .45/70, .338/06. Only in the .45/70 did they equal the accuracy of other loads with conventional bullets. Some of the rifles showed acceptable hunting accuracy, most did not. I have no doubt the claims of penetration and expansion are true. Others may have different results

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, in the 264 Win Mag the TSX's shot good and the terminal performance is great with the round. Haven't lost a deer with them and the internal damage was always massive.

I went back to the range and brought some 150gr. Nosler Partitions and the gun shot great. I'm going to back to using the partitions again...they've been very good to me in the past and I'm sure they'll do the same in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts