Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
How "little" do you mean? Another persons idea of "little" may be quite different from yours. You need to either be specific about bore diameter or make reference to a picture you saw in a thread.

We've got everything on this board from "micro mortars" to mortars that loft bowling balls and cannons that run from firecracker size all the way up to full size field artillery.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
The question of ammunition is VERY important. No bullets no fun.

I build my mortars around commonly available ammo - (why do beer cans come to mind first?) such as 4" pvc pipe (4.5" OD), soda pop bottles (16-20-24 oz size - Coke and Pepsi are the SAME caliber), beer cans, golf-balls.

Some folks do D, C and AA battery calibers.

Then consider copper tubing - 3/4" copper tubing turns out to a bore of about 0.90, half inch copper tubing will be 0.625 which also works well as 20 ga. slugs. Also are the connectors for the tubing - you don't have to cut sections.

And of course there are the standard sizes of round ball moulds to consider - 12 ga (0.73), 0.69, 0.58, 0.50 (0.49) and smaller.

Fillers for cylindrical containers can be most anything. Sand, cement, water (with reduced loads) and silicone potting compound are a few I've done.

There is one gentleman here who mentioned doing one in 0.177 caliber!

And one that I forgot - the Fuji (Kodak ones have a lip) plasitic film canister.

Obviously there are more, these are some that I've tried.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cat Whisperer said:
And of course there are the standard sizes of round ball moulds to consider - 12 ga (0.73), 0.69, 0.58, 0.50 (0.49) and smaller.
Also larger lead balls cast from custom molds. This is a 1.125" round ball mold from JT Bullet Moulds in England:

These balls weigh between 4¾ and 5 ounces (weighed on a postal scale) depending on alloy. These are from wheelweights, so they weigh 4¾ ounces.

_

·
Super Moderator
16,608 Posts
Some of us use shot golf balls. In fact we are having a golf ball mortar contest that ends September 1st.

I shoot 1 inch round lead balls in my scale model of a howitzer found on on the U.S.S. Cairo.

I use to have a pop can mortar but traded it off some years ago. I decided I needed another started building then decided pop cans were to small so I had the bore opened up to 6 PDR. These are home cast zinc.

·
Registered
731 Posts
For 50 caliber and smaller bores just use the lead balls for muzzle loading firearms.

·
Registered
128 Posts
xWEHRMACHTx, this fall when I start making them I'd be happy to ship you one for the cost of materials (maybe $2) plus shipping to you if you're really interested.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
xWEHRMACHTx said:
my dad will buy one
In addition to being very carefull about shooting cannons and mortars we (all of us) need to be sure that we operate within the Federal, State and local laws. (And those policies that this Forum of this Board.) This includes how things are shipped and of course how and for whom products are purchased.

Make sure that both parties involved are aware of and within the limits of the laws and the pleasure of Graybeard - that keeps us all allive and well and not behind bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts