Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't gunsmithing but I have seen some posts on other forums where guys claim that they would never use a rod to clean the bore of their rifle because it can cause scratches. If theyare not using rods and patches then how can they clean the bore? Is there something that I am missing? (I didn't feel like signing up for the this other particular site and I always get good information here so I thought that I would ask the question) :D Have any of you ever heard this before? Is there a better/safer way to clean the bore?

Just curious if I have always been cleaning my rifles incorrectly :-D

-Dragoon

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Personally I like the "boresnakes" sold by Hoppes and other manufacturers. I would think that D&R (sponser on this site) sells them. I also used a rod etc... for years. I would take the boresnake any day. Not that I worried about scratches, but 3 passes thru with the snake and any of my rifles barrels is clean. Just make sure you get the right size for your caliber rifle.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dragoon said:
I know this isn't gunsmithing but I have seen some posts on other forums where guys claim that they would never use a rod to clean the bore of their rifle because it can cause scratches. If theyare not using rods and patches then how can they clean the bore? Is there something that I am missing? (I didn't feel like signing up for the this other particular site and I always get good information here so I thought that I would ask the question) :D Have any of you ever heard this before? Is there a better/safer way to clean the bore?

Just curious if I have always been cleaning my rifles incorrectly :-D

-Dragoon
Dragoon,
I think those guys probably were using some sort of "pull through the breech" system. These can be BoreSnakes or the Otis system which uses a plastic coated cable with a patch jag or brush screwed to the threaded end of the cable. I have the Otis System that I purchased at a local Dicks Sporting, but to be honest, I still use the rods because they're alot faster in that you can both push and pull the rod back and forth. Now, having said that, I would warn you that you should always clean from the breech end and not the muzzle end so that you don't wear the crown or rifling at the muzzle when sliding the rod in and out. With a bore-guide, that centers the rod, you do away with that concern. SEE, NOW YOU KNOW TWO WAYS AT LEAST TO CLEAN YOUR GUN. What I always wanted to ask the Bore Snake users is.........Do you clean (ie.wash in detergent) your boresnake after each time you use it? Come on, fess up!!!! Otherwise, you're running a contaminated, dirty boresnake through the bore and creating more wear than someone with a rod and patch ANYTIME!

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I use 1 piece stainless rods and brass jags. I seldom use brushes and when I do I prefer those using brass wire wraps to hold the bristles.. The copper fouling remover IS hard on the brass but brushes and jags are cheap and they work the best. Always use a guide and I almost never clean a 22 rimfire and other rifles only when the accuracy begins falling off. There are exceptions but that is my norm. I believe more barrels are damaged but cleaning than by shooting.. Keep the rods clean and use the biggest rod diameter the bore will allow..

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's possible to scratches if you use a soft metal(aluminum) rod. small pieces of debris can become inbedded in the rod - that's when the scratching starts. use a stainless steel rod. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.