Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished

Proverbs 16:5

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on being proud in heart in the context of Proverbs 16:5.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Works for show, would be a good example, as would considering ones self better off spiritually.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the examples Dee, I was thinking along those lines as well. This seems to be pretty common sin, especially at church and bible studies in my experience. I often wonder if some people I've run across who are engaging in this are even aware they are sinning. My ex wife was the queen of works for show.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
I'm quite humble and proud of it! Well ... not really, but I've known a few people who felt exactly that way.

I believe those who are quite proud of their works and/or supposed self sanctification haven't a clue they and their works are way off base. Jesus deals with exactly those people in Matt 7:21-23:

"21. Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23. "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Can you imagine their cold shock when they hear that? (The "will of My Father" is to surrender our will to his Son Jesus as Savior, not by trusting in prideful earthly deeds for salvation.)

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely shows why we need to study every bible verse there is. There is plenty of scripture dealing with this and Matt 7:21-23 definitely spells it out clear as day for us.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
Doublebass73, it could mean any number of things. in verse 1 it tells us how we are to respond with our mouth. and if you go down a little further to about verse 18 it tells how an arrogant attitude can lead to a fall.
I think that to enter Heaven, we must humble ourselves before the Lord and have a humble interaction with our fellow man. this is bad news for those who lean toward narcissism. my career with Delta Airlines caused myself and others like me to take on a lofty attitude.
thankfully my Christian wife knocked that out of me.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
BUGEYE said:
Doublebass73, it could mean any number of things. in verse 1 it tells us how we are to respond with our mouth. and if you go down a little further to about verse 18 it tells how an arrogant attitude can lead to a fall.
I think that to enter Heaven, we must humble ourselves before the Lord and have a humble interaction with our fellow man. this is bad news for those who lean toward narcissism. my career with Delta Airlines caused myself and others like me to take on a lofty attitude.
I agree verse 18 cuts to the chase.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BUGEYE said:
I think this sin is definitely more difficult for us to reject because of our nature as prideful men. It helps very much to have a good woman to keep you humble. It's easy for us to be humble in front of the Lord but if we lose sight of Him during our interactions with our fellow men than it becomes so easy to fall into this sin. 16:18 is very blunt about it.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
BUGEYE said:
I think this sin is definitely more difficult for us to reject because of our nature as prideful men. It helps very much to have a good woman to keep you humble. It's easy for us to be humble in front of the Lord but if we lose sight of Him during our interactions with our fellow men than it becomes so easy to fall into this sin. 16:18 is very blunt about it.
I wish every man could have a wife like mine. I had never read verse 18 before, and really need to work on my attitude.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Everyone needs to constantly work on their attitude. The world constantly offers the opportunity for us to do the opposite of what we should be doing. Sin to is offered at every turn.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished

Proverbs 16:5

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on being proud in heart in the context of Proverbs 16:5.
I don't think that this verse is speaking of True Believers.
One who is Born Again and given New Life is not an abomination. I can't recall any scripture that would indicate that he would ever be considered as such.
The word abomination is associated with those who continually reject God and Christ and are given over to great levels of sin.
When a Christian's sin is spoken of in the writings of the Apostles we never hear such language applied.

In thinking of Pride I am taken back to the Fall and reminded of the 10th commandment. Thou SHALL NOT Covet.
All sin is linked to the failure to love God with all of the Heart and the neighbor as Self.
All sin is predicated by coveting, wanting what is rightfully God's or rightfully my neighbors.

All men inherit a fallen nature, not as sinful as it can be but sinful and separated from God in every Part.
Adam and Eve's sin was to want for themselves what was Rightfully Gods. They coveted.
Why? Pride was likely a strongly contributing factor.

Pride and coveting lead to abomination, denial of God's rightful place as creator and God, denying Him the rightful role, honor and Glory as the One who Created and therefore owns.

lc

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Sinners saved by grace, but yet sinners. LC, do you not believe a CHRISTIAN can be prideful, covetous, vengeful, and the many other of temptations of satan?
Gods love of us is perfection personified, while ours for Him, are far less than perfect.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Dee said:
Sinners saved by grace, but yet sinners. LC, do you not believe a CHRISTIAN can be prideful, covetous, vengeful, and the many other of temptations of satan?
Gods love of us is perfection personified, while ours for Him, are far less than perfect.
Sure. I didn't imply anything differently. That passage looks to me as though it is contrasting true believers with those who are lost much in the same way that John does in the letter of 1 John.

Do you believe that God would call His beloved children, bought with the blood of Christ, abominations? or that they could be abominations?

lc

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both believers and non-believers alike can be prideful. I don't see where God differentiates between the two in Proverbs 16:5. It clearly states "Every one". Do you have a scripture reference that states that only non believers can be considered an abomination?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
II'm more inclined that the "sin" is the abomination rather than the person. The unsaved have already committed the "unforgivable sin".
Metaphors are not always permanent, as also symbolism.
Example: to kill an innocent child, is an abomination, but TRUE repentance calls for forgiveness, the unrepentant carries the abomination with him.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Well later on it speaks that this is speaking of all, as God does not seem to play favorites[/color].
[/color]

16 Of man [are] arrangements of the heart, And from Jehovah an answer of the tongue.[/color]
[sup]2 [/sup]All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, And Jehovah is pondering the spirits.[/color]
[sup]3 [/sup]Roll unto Jehovah thy works, And established are thy purposes,[/color]
[sup]4 [/sup]All things hath Jehovah wrought for Himself, And also the wicked [worketh] for a day of evil.[/color]
[sup]5 [/sup]An abomination to Jehovah [is] every proud one of heart, Hand to hand he is not acquitted.[/color]
[sup]6 [/sup]In kindness and truth pardoned is iniquity, And in the fear of Jehovah Turn thou aside from evil.[/color]
[sup]7 [/sup]When a man's ways please Jehovah, even his enemies, He causeth to be at peace with him.[/color]​

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Self promoting, self righteousness, putting one's self on a pedestal above others and assuming that one's own soul doesn't need mercy and forgiveness.
I pray that I can have humility and understanding because I know that I sometimes display the tendencies that I described even though I am only human.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.