Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son will turn 21 in Nov. and I bought him a SS PT-92 with high caps. After firing the Taurus I now believe it not to be a first handgun. I thought with the double action, high cap, de-cocker and SS would be he ticket. Now after firing it I think I should give him one of my revolvers, perhaps a snub .44spc. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like a great way to treat yourself to a new handgun...... :) :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own one of these and have been very pleased with the performance. You didn't say why you now believe it is not the best "first" habdgun after firing it. What was it that concerned you? Also, while this may be the first handgun your son owns, I bet he's handled and shot other handguns over the years with your supervision. Is this so or is he starting from scratch on handguns?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son is well versed in pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting. I know from experienec that my son will double and sometimes empty a mag on a semi-auto. I now feel he should choose a safe path and carry a double action revolver to start with. He is in college and travels 90+ miles every weekend home. A small revolver (38-44spl) in the glove box is what he needs. Until he becomes comfortable with a double action poodle shooter with lots of ammo, thats is how I feel. When he is comfortable with pistols I plan on letting him pick of my gun safe. He has told me he does not wish to carry at this time because he is still in college but wants one for his car. BTW he shoots my SBH hot loads better than I do.

GOD BLESS, rick

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love shooting my PT92SS. I replaced the rear sight with a LPA TPU29TS30 adjustable. I like this sight very much over the original fixed sight.

My Dan Wesson Model 15 6" 357mag is way more accurate but cannot say I never have fun with the PT92.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mg66, I put the same sight on mine, love it. The PT92 is a great value in a handgun. I shot a friends and had to get one. Found it right here on GBOs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
volshooter said:
My son is well versed in pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting. I know from experienec that my son will double and sometimes empty a mag on a semi-auto. I now feel he should choose a safe path and carry a double action revolver to start with. He is in college and travels 90+ miles every weekend home. A small revolver (38-44spl) in the glove box is what he needs. Until he becomes comfortable with a double action poodle shooter with lots of ammo, thats is how I feel. When he is comfortable with pistols I plan on letting him pick of my gun safe. He has told me he does not wish to carry at this time because he is still in college but wants one for his car. BTW he shoots my SBH hot loads better than I do.

GOD BLESS, rick
Hello Sir,

I would recommend a snubbie (PT85?) in .38spl. Of course you could do the six shot thing as well.

I would load it with the time - proven .38spl +P SWCHP from either Federal or Remington.

EC <><

·
Registered
17 Posts
snubby revolver

I would personally take a look at the site www.taurususa.com look at there medium frame revolvers. There are some very nice small .357 magnums that I would love to get. You mentioned a .38 but if you get a .357 you have more ammo options .38+p and .357 mag. Just something to think about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts