Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out yesterday how good of shape I really was (wasn't) in :) . I spotted the blackie on the hillside about 500 yards up. I drove the boat about a quarter mile down the inlet, got out and doubletimed it to a vantage point up the lakeshore that gave me a visual that the bear was still there. After 2 & 1/2 hours, the bear ended up 3/4 to the top (2000 feet up the hill) and me 300 yards away. I could have shot but decided to stay my hand; I wanted as sure a thing as possible. The scope was heaving like the deck of a battered ship in a gale! Would not have taken that shot if it had been 100 yards! Funny how it only took 45 minutes to come down...it could have been faster if I took the direct way via the grass chute on my a$$. I learned about "devil's club" many years ago :oops: and would never want to be burnt again so soon! There will be a next time. It took 10 !/2 hours of sleep (under the stars in a bag on the beach 8) ) to recouperate. I'm ready for the next bout, but will wait at least a week before heading out again. 8) In the meantime, I'll be stretching out alot! :)
best,
bhtr

·
Registered
17 Posts
pushing 50 and "inshape" prospect

Sometimes we win sometimes we loose, but you're not to old to play the game.......put me in coach. Better luck next time. :grin:

·
Registered
457 Posts

Still haven't seen a bear this year, but I remember my first "education" last Fall. I was amazed at how long it took to get up those hills (devils club, alders, and something slick as snot...). two steps forward and one step back...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Gravity

Bearhuntr: It is a law of the universe. As we get older and gain knowledge, the extra burden of having to carry that knowledge places an extra strain on our muscles. It is universal, can't fight it!

So we have to use our extra knowledge to hunt smarter because we are smarter. Like bringing along a younger, healthier hunter to "teach" him the sport. :)

Getting old ain't easy, I'm hitting 52 this year but I am headed out bow hunting for bears on Friday. Might kill myself doing it but it is better than dying of cancer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Daveinthebush,
Careful, it sounds almost like you subscribe to the old addage that "old age and treachery will always outdo youth and skill!" :)

MooseHunter,
That notion would have been a very likely scenario at the 2000 foot mark! I'ts amazing the incentive one has when facing a good bear prospect! It's sort of like not feeling the recoil of a rifle after taking the shot on any big game! I didn't really think about tired until the bear made it clear that this stalk was a no go! :)

best to all,
bhtr

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
If

You know if someone ever took an iron and flattened all the wrinkles out of this state we'd be bigger than Africa! :)

·
Registered
4,461 Posts

bearhuntr,

Don't you mean "Old Age And Treachery Will Win Out Over Youth And Inexperience Every Time"? Those of us over the half century mark gained our knowledge from experience. Now we have to put in more time hitting the weights, swimming and hiking. I'm going to try getting a Desert Sheep just one more time before my legs and lungs tell me it's time to retire the sheep hunting. Bears, I'll never give up on. I'd rather die hunting bears than in bed at home. Remember "Old hunters Never Die - They Just Take Longer To Fire Their Shots". Lawdog

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

"Old Age And Treachery Will Win Out Over Youth And Inexperience Every Time"

Lawdog,
Yes, I paraphrased the above; however, my excuse is that my version shows what alot of the youngsters think of theirselves! :-D
Long ago did I pass that age where I felt like I should act like a teenager, making a fool out of myself to all that witnessed my "middle aged heresy!" It must have been at least a month ago anyway! :eek:
I still climb the hills and still try to keep the weight off but never will I achieve the 175 weight class I was when first married. BTAIM, I'm with you. I still have a Mountain Goat to fill (or two) and will NEVER tire of bears! "They will have to pry the bear from my cold, dead..." you know the rest! :)
best,
bhtr

·
Registered
4,461 Posts

bearhuntr,

I'm with you. I'm even thinking about going after another Brownie again. Lawdog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts