Graybeard Outdoors banner

PVC bow

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  DEACONLLB 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever made a pvc bow?
Jerry

#2 ·
I once saw an article about making a bow from a piece of PVC tubing. IIRC, the article was in "Traditional bowhunter" magazine.

as I recall, it was more of a "survival" tool and could not be made to have much draw weight.

#7 · (Edited)
I have made three of them. The last one was a goof....the pull must be 90 lbs (or more). The other two are in the 45-50 lb range. They work. Certainly they are not as easy on the eyes as a modern factory bow but they do work.
I have not hunted with them.
Pete
PS: about pvc tube and draw weight.....the way to increase draw weight is to line the main tube with a smaller one that slides inside the larger. Then you put a solid fiber glass rod inside the pvc assembly. You bush the rod with electrical tape for a tight fit.
P

#8 ·
You can make a Woden longbow out of deminsonal lumber that would look much more pleasing to the eye. But with my blown out right shoulder I gave up archery several years ago. Just kept me in pain constantly toshoot my recurved and long bows.

#10 ·
I've watched several videos on the subject, and some are really works of art.
And you can indeed make them to hunt with outside of a survival situation.

#11 ·
One of the young men on Alaska the last frountier made one and it seem to shoot pretty good but his was a cross bow as I recall

Deaconllb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.