Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks think of the newer Winchester Model 70's?

I am considering a 30-06 Super Shadow composite model with a 24" barrel and Controlled Round Push Feed (CRPF) Mauser style action, with sling, and 3-9X40 Scope (will replace cheap scope) at Walmart for only $398.

How's the accuracy of this model with a decent synthetic stock?

If I buy this firearm, what do you suggest I do to it, as I shoot at the range every 2 weeks and will be hunting about 8 times a year.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=931&cat=001C

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/535931l.jpg

Thanks in advance of your reply!

Steve

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My advice would be to leave it, and wait till you have the bucks for a Mod. 70 featherweight. The Shadow stock is crap, and aftermarket replacements are non-existant thanks to the blind magazine. The newer model 70s with the classic CRF are about as good as the pre-64s, but not these bottom line Shadow guns.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Super Shadow doesn't come in .30-06. Just the WSM and WSSM rounds. I have one in .25 WSSM and while I agree with Ramrod on the quality of the stock, the gun is very accurate and very comfortable to shoot. I also have a Model 70 Classic Laminate in .270 WSM that I paid $500 for and it's one of the highest quality firearms I've owned. I don't think you'll be sorry with the newer Model 70.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While Winchesters 2005 Catalog Line-up only shows WSM / WSSM calibers for the Super Shadow, Walmart has a special arrangement with Winchester to make the same gun (in 2005) in 30-06 and 270 for $398 with scope and sling.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the information. I think the Super Shadow would probably be a great .30-06. I may even have to pick one up. As far as for set-up, the only think I did was top it off with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 and adjust the trigger. It will shoot inch groups as long as I do my part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Every time I think I want a winchester I go and look at on and am allways disappointed by the poor craftmanship. Lift the bolt on a wood stocked rifle and look in the slot where the bolt handle goes. nearly all that i have looked at look like they were cut with a chain saw. The meatl work is also rough and the triggers are horrid. If these things change, my attitude toward winchester might change too. bu until then I will shop else where.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I have a Winchester Super Shadow in 270 WSM. Very accurate and a very good handling rifle.......I really like this rifle, also have 2 Ruger 77's and 2 Steven 200's.All very fine rifles.and American made!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After doing a lot of research and shopping around comparing all major rifle manufactures, we decided to purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless 30-06 as a gift for my son's earning the Eagle Scout Award. :)

Rifle was $469.00 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah and included a 24" stainless / parkerized barrel and Limbsaver Recoil Pad.

FYI:

The blued version was discounted to $398.00, but we liked the stainless at $469. (Note: The 2005 Stainless version retails for $613 and has replaced the 2004 BDL's Stainless. The 2005 SPS in blue ($520 retail) has replaced the 2004 ADL line which was dropped.)

We Piller Bedding the action / Free Floating the Barrel, and Adjusted the Trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. So far, results have been 7/8" MOA with the rifle only having 12 shots through the barrel. Should be a MOA shooter after the barrel's broken in.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I bought a Feather Weight with Synthic stock model 70 in 270 caliber and the rifle shoots very well. I think the price was around $500. Thats the only Winchester I own but its a nice one. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts