Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning the barrel of a new rifle, I noticed a brownish residue on the dry patches. I remembered a post on this topic; needless to say, I was unable to find it.

I tried Butch's Bore Shine, Barnes CR-10, and one other solvent, but it did not remove the stuff entirely.

Does this preserver have to be completely removed before any rounds are fired?

Also, what is the best solvent to remove the barrel preserver?

Will it "shoot out" with a simple break in or usage?

Thanks for any input on this subject.

:D
-Patriot

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

Patriot

I have had the same thing happen to me, My 416 Rem Mag was real bad that way. I guess i ran 30 or more patches through the thing before i got it cleaned up. I did run some oil patches through it between the dry patches. You will eventually get it all out but you may be a while getting it done. In the end your patches will come out clean if you stay with it long enough. Hope you make it .........Joe.........

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Automotive carburator cleaner is what I use on a that stuff. Gasoline cuts it pretty well too, but I would only do it outside. And oil the bore soon after, bare steel rusts fast if it's humid.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I just clean out the oil and grease then I shoot out anything else. Done this way with all my rifles. No problem. :D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the tips. I used a little bit of gasoline, and that seemed to help get most of it out. No doubt there is a slight touch of preserver left, but I'm confident that will come out with proper use and cleaning.

Again, thanks for your input.

:D
-Patriot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts