Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the chance to buy a huntsman and had a few questions. I have several handi rifles but never dealt in the muZeloaders. Are the barrels interchangeable on these? Are they easy to take down? Do they take a special tool? Thanks for the help guys. Always wanted to add one to the collection but never studied them enough.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Depends if it is the "new" ones or the "old" ones. As I understand it the barrels on the "new" ones will fit other frames, hence, they are classed as firearms. I have six of the "old" ones and although they also are called firearms by ATF, I have never been able to get the barrels to interchange with any Handi Rifles or Pardner Shotguns. The shotguns I have will interchange with each other, but not the .58 or the .45s. The .58 won't fit on any other frames. The .45s will interchange with each other, but not with the .58 or the shotguns.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
gene_225 said:
Depends if it is the "new" ones or the "old" ones. As I understand it the barrels on the "new" ones will fit other frames, hence, they are classed as firearms. I have six of the "old" ones and although they also are called firearms by ATF, I have never been able to get the barrels to interchange with any Handi Rifles or Pardner Shotguns. The shotguns I have will interchange with each other, but not the .58 or the .45s. The .58 won't fit on any other frames. The .45s will interchange with each other, but not with the .58 or the shotguns.
The barrels of the older Huntsmans "can not be readily interchange with modern rifle/shotgun barrels, without a modification of the modern barrel or frame of the older Huntsman.

I brought this up, previously to show that the ATF doesn't have a clue about what their own laws say.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
gismored79 said:
I might add there three different style of plugs. I have one old huntsman and one newer sidekick I am a novice at this myself.
You make a good point I forgot. Don't know about the New ones, but the six old design I have use two different types of breach plugs. There is one which screws in and one which pushes in. If you look at the screw in type, make sure it will unscrew before you buy one. I have a .45 that won't unscrew. Probably will have to bore it out eventually. I converted most of mine to use 209 primers. The caps left residue in the fireing pin hole that I had to remove by removing the fireing pin to clean it out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
OldSchoolRanger said:
gene_225 said:
The barrels of the older Huntsmans "can not be readily interchange with modern rifle/shotgun barrels, without a modification of the modern barrel or frame of the older Huntsman.

I brought this up, previously to show that the ATF doesn't have a clue about what their own laws say.
I agree, but they are still the ATF

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts
Any H&R Inc ML rifle (they went out of business in 1986) will be .45 or .58 cal, they also made a 12ga ML, any NEF or H&R ML made 1987 or later will be .50 cal....so if it's .50 cal, it's a modern Huntsman....or a Sidekick, although firearm barrels won't fit it due to the different frame. Modern Huntsmans can be fitted with firearms barrel.

The ATF doesn't distinguish the vintage(45,58,12ga) Huntsmans from modern Huntsmans, if it's a Huntsman, it's a firearm.

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-classifieds/huntsman-muzzleloaders-are-firearms/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.