Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really about the HR Topper shotgun, but there seem to be a lot of folks here that know the rifle action.

How easy is it to open the action? Is there an easy-to-use safety which permits the gun to be carried with the hammer cocked?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Questor,

The old H&R M158 or "Topper" shotgun action is an inexpensive utility weapon and relies on a rebounding safety. That is, the hammer will not stay in the "down" or fired position when at rest or after pulling the trigger.

I do not know of any device that allows you to safely carry the piece "cocked and locked".

Why would you want to carry the piece around with the hammer cocked? I would think that a fast thumbcock is all anyone needs for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Questor, I have yet to see a safety on any H&R Topper that would allow you to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle by either H&R or NEF. It would go against all safety rules anyway. Some carry with the breech open and load a shell in just before shooting.

The breech brake release is right there on the wrist of the Topper by the hammer.

If I were you I would go to a gun show or sporting goods store that carries H&R or NEF rifles so you can handle one for yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not that I recommend carrying cocked and locked, but the Rossi single shot rifle has a safety. Well at least the adult sized .223 I have does, the youth size .22 does not.
SSgt C

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses.

I'm cancelling my order for this gun and will have to look at something with an internal hammer and a modern safety. Can you recommend anything like that?

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
single shots with safeties

I suppose you could look at the Ruger 1 or the Mossberg single shot. Expect to pay much more than for the H&R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.